Help me: 360 or PS3?

Either one is a good system. I personally think that it is a better deal to get the PS3 since it has a blu-ray player. But, you should get whatever system your friends have. It’s not as much fun to have a different system from everyone else.

I have both, but the 360 gets significantly more used as a gaming platform. Mostly because I’m an unabashed addict to the Xbox Marketplace. The PS3 is a superior platform for media services, though, mostly because of the built-in wireless, Blu-Ray and the simplicity of using Tversity with it. (TVersity can be a hassle and a half with the 360.) I was a HD-DVD proponent early on, but obviously grew to regret that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Both systems have good exclusives and a lot of multi-platform titles that are well worth checking out. The controllers are also equivalent, though the 360 one is heftier and has more resistance in the analogue sticks. The PS3 controllers can be charged via a common USB->M-USB cable connected to the console while the 360 can either use normal batteries or a rechargeable battery pack. Both are wireless, but the PS3 has the sixaxis gimmick that can be funny in some games. (LBP, Killzone 2, etc.)

As for Kinect vs. Playstation Move, I own neither because despite their stated goal of trumping the Wii, both companies are releasing exactly the same type of games on their consoles. That is to say, sports and social games. While some older games have been revised to support them, it’s obvious that games needs to be designed with those controllers in mind to really take advantage of them. (That said, the second From Software releases Demon’s Souls with Move functionality, I’m there!)

The Move controller is, undoubtedly, superior to the Wii Remote when it comes to motion sensing. The Wii Remote w/Wii MotionPlus detects movement relatively. That is, it can only infer how you’ve moved in relation to your starting position–something that becomes less accurate rapidly with time. Hence why Wii Sports Resort has you point at the screen periodically–this allows it to confirm where the Wii Remote is in relation to the TV. But as soon as you start swinging, its certainty of where the Wii Remote is rapidly decreases until you point toward the TV again.

By comparison, the PlayStation Move basically reverses the Wii Remote’s camera/sensor bar setup, allowing the camera placed above the TV to always “see” the Move. This means the systems has an absolute spacial position of the controller’s position relative to the TV at all times. It then uses the Move’s accelerometer and gyroscope (similar tech as Wii Remote w/WM+) to augment its absolute spacial position to also detect its orientation (basically, how it’s turned/tilted).

Of course, the controller’s not categorically better. The button-placement is less than ideal, the lack of a speaker is a bummer (I think it’s a rather under-rated feature of the Wii) and the Navigation controller (its nunchuk) lacks any motion detectors at all. But as far as pure motion-sensing is concerned, it’s without question superior.

I’d pick the PS3 because I think the cost of ownership is lower. No XBL cost, DLC seems a little cheaper and you don’t have to buy in MS Points, you buy in Dollars. Hardware like Rock Band guitars is cheaper too. Plus it’s a Blu-Ray player if you’re into that.

360 is a great choice too though.

I said PS3, even though I have an XBOX 360.

The reason is, simply, free online game play…

Hmm, I had no idea they were so different under the hood. I’ve never used the Move, but friends who have said that it felt so much like the Wii as to be the same.

I guess I better go slap some sense into them.

Well, it’s certainly similar–everything from the shape, to its nunchuk, to its overall use is very similar from a surface-level view. It’s just done better. The PS3’s version of table tennis really highlights how much more advanced its motion-sensing really is.

I have both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. I haven’t turned on my 360 since I bought the PS3.

For me, the PS3 wins because of crisper graphics, the Blu-Ray player, connection to Wi-Fi without a special accessory (the Xbox’s antenna gouges you at $100, which I refuse to pay), and streaming Netflix.