Help me be more empathetic

If your friend won’t let you state your opinions without the two of you getting into a long emotial argument, you might want to reconsider whether this guy is deserving of your empathy. On the other hand, if the problem is that you don’t know a good way to phrase your opinons and feelings without antagonizing your friends, do some reading on the concept of assertiveness. Here’s a nice introduction on the subject and here’s another.

This thing about being in a highly charged political environment is a little tough to explain. But, in short, I’m talking about siblings, cousins, long-term friends, people I genuinely like and trust and count on. So even when I think they’re wrong, I still feel badly for them. I think for now the empathy part may have to wait.

There’s always the danger of getting too good at this. Relatives and acquaintances might line up to dump on you whenever they’re feeling pissy, and that can get very depressing. I have to practice at being a bit more prickly, I guess, because sometimes I feel like I have a “Complaint Department” sign fastened to my forehead. So be forewarned.

::practicing:: “Sucks to be you - sucks to be you - sucks to be you.”