Help me choose new monitors for use with new Mac Mini?

Can you help me figure out how to choose 3 identical monitors for a new Mac Mini arriving in a couple weeks? Lots of screen space is my favorite computer feature. I’m replacing an iMac 27" that is now 9 years old and is flanked by two Dell 27" 3840 x 2160 60Hz monitors now 5 years old. I like this setup except it requires resizing big windows when dragging them between screens because they don’t quite match, thus the wish for 3 identical. Also, the iMac image is noticeably clearer than the Dells.

The new Mac specs says it supports “Three displays up to a native resolution of 6K at 60Hz”, which sounds perfect looks expensive on Amazon. Maybe I should be thinking 5K. I feel OK about spending up to around $1000 each, $3000 total, but this a soft limit. $4500 total feels like too much.

I want to mount these 3 monitors on my 3 “Amazon Basics Single Monitor Stand - Lift Engine Arm Mount”.

A glass screen surface would definitely be nice, but not absolutely needed.

I don’t do any gaming at all. Better gaming capability has zero value for me.

I do amateur photography and some writing, a wee bit of CAD, and also enjoy the web and YouTube videos. I do some Zoom and Microsoft Teams meetings but use my own headphones with mic, and don’t mind buying a separate webcam.

Not long ago I made a mistake when I bought monitors. They had some weird memory feature that held a screen in memory and would malfunction by alternating between the correct image and some random screen from days earlier, showing it like a double exposure. A slow motion iPhone video made clear it was rapidly switching back and forth between them. People helping me figure this out asked why I had chosen them, but I still have no idea where I went wrong.

The new Mac specs for displays:
M5 Pro
Supports up to three external displays over any combination of Thunderbolt and HDMI ports:
Three displays up to a native resolution of 6K at 60Hz or 4K at 165Hz
Up to two displays: One display up to a native resolution of 8K at 60Hz or 5K at 120Hz or 4K at 240Hz, plus a second display up to 5K at 120Hz or 4K at 200Hz
Supports up to three external displays over a single Thunderbolt port
Thunderbolt 5 (USB-C) ports support native DisplayPort 2.1 speeds
Supports variable refresh rate (VRR), HDR, and multichannel audio

The old Dell monitors:
S2722QC 27-inch 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 60Hz Monitor, 8MS Grey-to-Grey Response Time (Normal Mode), Built-in Dual 3W Integrated Speakers, 1.07 Billion Colors, Platinum Silver (Latest Model)
These are no longer available but the suggested Dell alternatives are under $300 each, suggesting whatever I get can be WAY better.

Thank you very much!!

How about the BenQ MA270S? It’s their version of the Apple Studio Display so it supports the Thunderbolt connections from the Mac Mini. They aren’t cheap, but they should be under $1000.

It isn’t glass (as far as I know, only the Studio Displays are) but it is a glossy coating so it might have the same look to it.

The Rtings review wasn’t amazed by the factory calibration so a risk is they look slightly off from each other side by side.

Mac Minis have all Thunderbolt 3+ aka USB-C connectors, so you’d either want monitors that have that port or converter cables from HDMI or DisplayPort. Most computer monitors these days have DisplayPort and possibly any combination of other ports.

If you don’t game, it sounds like 60 Hz is sufficient. You just want 3 to do work. I wouldn’t spend a lot here then, $3000 is insanely high for casual use.

Your existing monitors seem to have the same specs, are they the same model? Both 16:9 27" screens. I don’t see why they would cause any screen switching problems, unless it’s your computer’s video capabilities.

Not sure what you mean by retaining an image from days ago. Did this persist through a reboot?

I was able to find cables for all three of my external monitors (one of which is a giant TV screen) to connect to a usb-c port. It probably cost a little more than a vanilla hdmi cable, but it didn’t break three bank.

Many types of video conversions need “active” cables not “passive.” The conversions OP would need are indeed cheap for quality brands. Older required active conversions like DP to DVI have quite expensive cables if you want a quality brand (as in it’s likely to work and isn’t some random-letter Chinese brand that won’t exist in 6 months. Not a rehash of $100 HDMI to HDMI Monster cables).

Would you consider a single super-ultrawide (seriously, that’s what they’re called) monitor instead of 3 separate ones? The benefit is that you can still put 3 windows side by side when you want to, but you can also expand one picture (like a landscape panorama) across the entire screen, with no gaps. And it greatly simplifies the connection and factory calibration – it’s just one panel instead of three separate ones that have to match each other.

$3000 is a LOT of budget for this.

For example this one is 7860x2160: Odyssey Neo G9 | 57 inch G95 NC Gaming Monitor | Samsung US

Or an OLED (nicer colors, slightly lower resolution) 49" Odyssey G95SD OLED Dual QHD Curved Gaming Monitor | Samsung US

It doesn’t matter that they’re “gaming” monitors, it’s just a really awesome form factor for work AND creative work and entertainment. No borders dividing up the workspace.

I guess technically they would have less resolution than 3 side by side 4k monitors, but… you could maybe put two or three of THESE next to each other for a truly panoramic view!

PS Do you need professional calibration and color matching for your photography? There’s a different class of monitors for those (focused on gamut and color accuracy), but if it doesn’t matter all that much, the OLEDs will make the colors really pop, especially if you ever take HDR photos. Their per pixel lighting completely transforms what “dynamic range” means vs a regular monitor.

I would also add: be sure to get the monitor from a place that accepts returns, or at least get one that has a lot of Mac specific reviews, unless you are going Thunderbolt (not just USB C).

I’ve had a lot of monitors that work fine with Windows and Linux but have various issues with my M2 and M4 Macs, especially through any sort of dock or adapter. It’s enough of a shitshow that I wouldn’t trust just the manufacturer’s product page without direct or third party validation that it will work right with the Mini.

Last thing: Most of the time monitor brand doesn’t matter as much as the manufacturer who makes the underlying panels, like Samsung or LG for the OLEDs and a handful of other ones for regular LCDs. Most other brands, including Dell, are just rebadged or whitelabeled versions of those.

If you’re ever unsure, check rtings.com for detailed quantitative analyses or Monitor Panel Part Database - TFTCentral to figure out which panel a monitor actually contains. Mostly the panel is going to determine how something looks and the branding on top of it gives you tweaked settings and different warranties.

Rtings in particular is the modern day Consumer Reports for electronics, and very much worth a subscription before you splurge $3k on monitors.

I’ve got nothing to say about monitors, but I’ll add another voice of support for rtings.com. I recently used it to pick a refrigerator. It had much more detailed analysis of different fridges than anywhere else I’d found, with test results, graphs of temperature measurements over time and measured at different points in the fridge (front, back, door, several spots in the freezer), details about build quality, brand reliability, etc. They seem to do an excellent job in reviewing products, more than the typical “use it for a day and type up your subjective impressions”. I got a month’s subscription which cost about $8 as I recall, then cancelled it.

I got 3 of the Benq PD2730S, pretty similar. Just set up the new Mac with one of these monitors, and it is beautiful! Thank you for the recommendation.