Help Me Cook My Roast

Over the holidays I’m planning to cook a standing rib roast. This will be my first one. The standard MO that I’ve seen on cooking these, is to blast it with high heat for the first 30 minutes or so, then lowering the heat and letting the meat cruise to it’s thermal destination.

Our friend Alton Brown on the Food Network as propsed just the opposite. Roasting at 200 degrees until the internal temp reaches 118 and then blasting it at 500 degrees the rest of the way home. AB has never once steered me wrong, and I’m pretty inclined to do it his way, but I’d like some helpful hints from dopers on the subject.

I’m looking to keep my preparation pretty simple. Nothing really going on the meat except a pan sauce made from the leftovers of the roasating process.

I dunno about cooking it, but I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell you. The suggestion I would make is, age that puppy. Take it out of the plastic wrap now, stick it on a rack over a cookie sheet, and put it in the fridge. Dry-aging beef, even if only for a day or two, makes a huge difference.

The reasoning for having a very hot oven to start with is that putting a big joint into it immediately draws a lot of the heat out of it, so the temperature plummets and only slowly recovers. However, I stick with 180 celsius the whole way through, and it works fine. I’ve never heard of the Food Network suggestion.

Cooking times, although often recommended according to weight, actually far more depend on the thickness of the joint - it’s logical when you think about it, a short fat joint has further for the heat to penetrate than a thin one of the same weight. It’s hard to judge without experience, so using a meat thermometer is the best way, The centre of the joint should be about 60 celsius for rare, 80 for very well-done, or in between, depending on your preferences.

Aim to have the joint finished 30 minutes before serving, take it out of the oven, wrap in foil and a cloth and leave to rest. If you carve it straight from the oven, all the boiling juices flood out, leaving you with dry meat. Resting allows the juices to reabsorb, giving that squishy tenderness you’re drooling for :slight_smile:

Final tip - when the oven’s ready at cooking temparature, heat a large heavy frying pan or similar to scorchingly-hot, and brown the joint for just a couple of minutes on each side, before putting it in to roast. This does wonders for the taste of the well-cooked outside parts. (For even better results, rub copious amouts of crushed peppercorns and mustard powder all over the joint first.)

Ardred and I cook our roasts at 200 with a final blast of heat at the end. This works SO MUCH better than the ‘old’ way, it was more tender, juicy and flavorful.

My standard MO for cooking a roast: rinse and pat dry. Poke a bunch of holes for garlic cloves and stuff 'em in. Coat the thing with a bit of olive oil and salt, pepper and whatever else (a bit of cayenne and lots of rosemary usually).

Cook at 200 almost to temp and crank it up at the end. Devour.