Help me decide what color to paint my house

I absolutely love your house! I think it would look pretty a mocha color with evergreen trim.

Sage green or slate blue.

I’ve played around a bit with a paint program. Here’s a pic of the house taken today, in three different shades. The colors weren’t very good. I didn’t bother with the trim. As you can see, the roof badly needs resurfacing. That’s a 160 year old house for you.

Slate-ish
Yellow-ish
Taupe-ish

StG

Love the yellow, like the slate. Not feeling the taupe love.

Lunch sounds good!

Whoa! Your paint program pics show a house I DIDN’T see in your opening post link, StG - I was looking at the house pics on page 2!

For what it’s worth, I like the slate - though maybe a little lighter.

6Impossible Things - No, the house on the 2nd page was my mother’s house. It’s been sold but I haven’t taken the pics down. I should do that.

Brynda - The yellow seems a bit overwhelming, but I’d use a lighter shade, I think.

StG

I think sage green. Can you try that in your app or are you opposed to green? White trim. (Because I believe that all trim should be white.)

Taupe! Taupe! Taupe!

I vote blue! Total no-brainer when I saw the pics. But then I did Googling and saw this cute deal. As long as you have the red door I think you’ll be fine!

Good luck!

Maybe there are attractive shades of taupe, but to me, taupe is depressing. It reminds me of muddy water. Taupe is what you choose when there are too many other attractive options, so you decide the hell with it, use taupe.

Sage-ish

I wish I could edit my roof.

StG

Well my first choice was green, but of those three choices, I’m going with taupe. Blue is a lovely color, but I hate it on houses, and yellow looks too festive.

So hmm, I guess in a way you’re right. My process was kind of “Well then screw it, go with taupe.” But! If it were up to me, olive green all the way.

Well my first choice was green, but of those three choices, I’m going with taupe. Blue is a lovely color, but I hate it on houses, and yellow looks too festive. So hmm, I guess in a way you’re right. My process was kind of “Well then fine, go with taupe.” But! If it were up to me, olive green all the way.

Edit again:

Ooh, this.

I think a slightly blue-er sage, with forest green trim. Love the idea someone posted about making the inside of the porch a lighter shade of the same colour.

Normally I prefer a sort of periwinkle or light blue-grey, but in this case I think something that evokes and blends with the surrounding foliage is better.

P.S. I always thought the whole point of a tin roof was that it couldn’t rust?!?

Before choosing taupe or olive green, take a hard look at how such colours weather. They tend to turn to muddy looking blah.

Oh, thsey can rust given enough time. I suppose the galvanization wears off. Mind you, that roof is probably over 40 years old.

I’m going to talk to my handyman and see if he thinks doing this is within the scope of his abilities, and how much he’d charge. I might spring for a few different color samples and do some tests.
StG

Go for a trompe-l’oeil effect..

:smiley:

Here is a site I often send clients to so that they can organize and get some images to their ideas. www.houzz.com I have found it a useful tool to help my clients assist me in designing their home. Most clients can’t express verbally what they want/like, but a picture at least can assist me in that in conveys their intent. I think you will like the site.

It is a great site for all kinds of ideas for both inside and outside your house. If you go to the browse by space tab, there is an exterior button, and you can see tons of different color and material combinations. I am sure you will find something you like there!

Hakuna Matata - What is it that you do?

Edited to add:
kaylasdad - :stuck_out_tongue:

StG