Help me decide which eyeglass lens to choose

Fortunately, I don’t have to go to bifocals yet. :smiley:

I like the look of the transition lens. What about anti-reflective? Hi-index? etc…

Anyone had bad luck with any of these?

I couldn’t live with my first pair of transitional lenses. Now I’ve got one pair of transitionals and one pair of distance correction only.

For my next pair of transitionals, I’m going to ask for the largest reading area available (which, IIR a recent thread, is something that varies by maker of the lense).

Don’t forget about the frames, either.
IMO the most important issue is comfort. It’s a matter of compromise, but I’d suggest picking the frames that allow the largest field of view while still looking good.
It’s also probably a good idea to choose a lightweight, hypoallergenic frame material (like Flexon, for instance).

Transition lenses are more about (again) comfort rather than looks. Keep in mind that with transitions what you see will always be a little darker; try and see how that affects you. Usually it feels like a filter that enhances contrast (a good thing) but IMMV. It may be too dark, depending on your preferences and the lenses’ maker. When switching from strong light (outdoors) to low light (indoors) the lens takes a while to “adapt”; sometimes this may be annoying. The darkening coating reacts to UV rays, so sometimes the lens may become dark even though the sun isn’t shining at “full power” (think dusk, dawn, etc.)

The anti-reflective coating is very useful, methinks. Just make sure they cover BOTH sides of the lens, or, if you’re also getting a photochromic (transition) coating, make sure they cover the INNER side of the lens. This will help keeping the reflections of your own eye in the lens to a minimum, a detail often overlooked by salespeople, but very important, IMO.

Hi index lenses are (yet again) about comfort; the thinner the lens, the less it weighs. The difference will be most noticeable with “strong” prescriptions. The downside can be their price, if that matters. The most notable difference my high index lenses make (aside from being lightweight) is that chromatic aberrations are less obvious/disturbing. (Objects with purple/red edges, especially at the extremes of the field of vision)

I think all of these features are good; just make sure you buy your glasses from a store with competent employees. (See my post here.)

Thanks for information…I am looking at rimless frames. I have to wear these things every day, all day–so they need to be comfortable.

I thought I read somewhere that the lens may appear darker depending on the prescription. Have you heard anything like this? I don’t have my prescription with me, but my lens would be stronger for one eye than the other.

Very strong minus prescriptions can appear darker. If you have a strong prescription you should buy smaller lenses.

A strong caution on the anti-reflective coating. It gets dirty and scratches with the greatest of ease. it is a chore to keep it clean. Additionally, it has a greenish tinge to it.

And for what it’s worth, the coatings are put on the lens before it’s ground. If the lens needs to be tweeked to your prescription (as is often the case) the coating will be ground off the back of the lens. They never mention that at the glasses stores.