Help me find an economical car

I just started a new job this week, and I have to commute 65 miles each way to work. Fortunately it’s all freeway driving, against the traffic, so i don’t have to worry about traffic jams, etc., but I do need to get a car that’s more fuel efficient than my 3/4 ton Dodge pickup w/ 5.7L Hemi.

I’d like to find something a few years old in the $5-10K range that will get good gas mileage. Air conditioning is a must.

Can anyone recommend specific models that have held up well over the years and still get good mileage? Or am I being unrealistic?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I’m not a car expert by any means, but from what I’ve heard, Honda is known for having some of, if not the most fuel-efficient cars out there. They’re also very good in the emissions department, and are relatively cheap in price yet quite durable. And if you work in a busy city with a lot of traffic and tight parking, a small Honda hatchback is wonderful with regards to maneuverability and getting into places easier than other vehicles.

Anyhoo…

I have a 1997 Saturn station wagon with over 80,000 miles on it that gets 33+ MPG in local driving, and upper 30s to 40 MPG on the highway. It’s got AC, and an excellent radio. It’s comfortable, reliable, and hardly ever needs more garage time than the usual oil change/lube.

When it finally dies I’m going to buy another Saturn.