Help me hammer on a bullet w/o killing myself.

SS Tubing…just put a bevel on the edge u want to cut.

Disassemble bullets LEAD first and pointed…Dat Way!

And just as an FYI.

The correct way to disassemble a bullet without firing it is with a bullet puller. The principle is that you attach a weight to the slug and use inertia to pull it out.

$3? I feel ripped off now. Of course, I bought my rotary punch 20 years ago, so I probably did pay $3 for it.

I think youth and time have perhaps altered your recollections. A primer is not even as energetic as a normal black cat style firecracker. A primer only cartridge for most rifles won’t even unseat the bullet.

If you were playing with an emptied shell, the odds are you didn’t get it empty enough. But a primer alone isn’t too nasty unless you chain them in the tube or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLV4icjzzFY&feature=related

Here’s how NOT to do it (see 6:05 in the video).

handsomeharry

I would not use a bullet-puller on a .22 rimfire as this may deform the primer. IIRC, bullet-pullers are only for use with centerfire ammo. As an OBTW, why not just put a scrap of 2 X 4 lumber on the floor and then hammer a phillips-head screwdriver through the belt and into the wood. I did this a few nights ago for someone and it worked fine.

Regards

Testy

Lucky you! When I was a kid, I found out that a 12 ga shell fit nicely into the opening of by bicycle handlebar.

I had an almost overpowering urge to hit it with a hammar to see if the bird shot would come out the other end of the handlebar.

Fortunately, I am not as stupid as I look, so never did it, but I still wonder what the result would be.

Anybody care to try this and let me know what happens? That is after you get out of the ER :smiley:

Back in my “young and stupid” days, I set up some 12-gauge shells on a rock, backed up 25 yards, and shot at them with a BB gun until I managed to actually hit the primer and make it go boom.

Don’t do that.

snicker… and you think that wouldn’t blow a hammer out of your hand? I’d suggest you prove me wrong but that would be cruel and irresponsible. I consider it a teaching moment.

It is kinda hard to forget seeing and resetting the dislocated joints in two fingers. I am purty darn sure it was the primer, there wasn’t anything else left to go boom. The proof is in the fact, I have never done it again. Nor will I.

You’re both mistaken then. I haven’t been dumb enough to hit a primer with a hammer, but I have set off shotgun primers, rifle primers, and pistol primers, both on purpose and by accident. I was also not in my early teens. The pop from a primer is much less than from ordinary fireworks. If you watch the video, if doesn’t even kick the sand more than a foot. A lowly firecracker will pop sand quite a bit further, but won’t shoot a tin can more than a few inches in the air. There is simply no way a plain primer is going to break your hand unless you freaked out and wrenched your hand trying to pull it back or you got some powder in there, which is a lot more energetic.

I’ve shot primer-only blanks, there is zero kick. If there was enough force to throw a couple lbs of hammer around enough to wreck your hand, it would be enough for me to feel a kick. Hell, a fully hot round doesn’t have enough kick to break my hand, even in a big-ass pistol.

I also know for a fact that getting all the powder out of a shell or cartridge is difficult; there will always be powder residue with either black or nitro powder.

It doesn’t matter now, what with the $3 punch solution, but a .223 casing with the primer popped out would be a better choice than a 22 LR. Enough brass to hold on to and beefy enough to take the blows from a mallet.