Help me ID and find this music clip

I’m putting together a CD for tomorrow night’s Lampoons. I’m looking for that peaceful little flute intro often used in cartoons to indicate that it’s first thing in the morning. I wish I could describe it better than that, but i’m sure someone knows what I’m talking about.

Also, if anyone can help me find some clips of the teacher from Peanuts, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!
Dr. J

I believe you’re talking about the pastoral movement from the William Tell overture, by Rossini. The final movement contains the famous “theme song” of the Lone Ranger.

“Morning Song”, Edvard Grieg.

I believe the teacher from Peanuts is a trombone with a mute.
wha wha wha

I’ll back up Yabob. I believe the O.P. is looking for the Morning Song, from the Peer Gynt Suite.

'In the Hall of the Mountain King" is very good, too.

The third movement of the William Tell Overture is used more than Morning Song, but they’re both good. The former is often played on a flute, however.

Another vote for Morning Song. Here’s a clip, I think. I can’t listen to it at work.

Doc, trust me, you’re looking for “Morning” from Grieg’s Peer Gynt Suite.
Tattva, your link wants me to install something. :eek:
Here’s a website that plays a midi version, albeit in a rather herky-jerky fashion.
http://www.niteowl.org/Classical/peer1-1.html

Here’s a better one that plays the regular orchestral version, but that requires Windows Media Player.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaenfield/Ex-Grieg-PGS-MornMood.wma

I disagree, DDG–I think he definitely is talking about the section from “William Tell,” which can be found as a RealAudio clip here. That musical cue was, in Warner Bros. cartoons, to morning scenes what “Powerhouse” was to assembly line scenes.

As the guy who first suggested Grieg, after listening to pldennison’s clip, I will suggest that BOTH are very commonly used in cartoons, BOTH are rendered with flutes, BOTH are used to set up peaceful morning scenes, and it is impossible for us to know which one the OP had in mind. In fact, the casual listener can be excused for conflating them into one melody in their memory, they are so similar in application as background music. If they OP wants to tell us which he had in mind, he should be sure to listen to clips of each first.

Something else which is curious is that they BOTH come from works with other heavily used and immediately recognized themes in them - Rossini’s overture yielding “The Lone Ranger”, and many commercials (“Have a lark, have a lark, have a lark today …” - WHY do I remember that) and Grieg providing the distinctive “In the Hall of the Mountain King”:

http://www.elycia-webdesign.com/seasonal/mntking.ram

Apparently, Grieg wrote that ItHotMK should evoke images of “Cow manure and super nationalism”. So why do I get images of elephants sneaking around on tip-toe?

Okay, sooo…which was it, Dr.J?
And, how was the party? :smiley:

In addition, a third section of the Rossini was used in the WB cartoons to indicate a storm.