Help me identify a John Wayne movie. Please

I vividly remember a movie with John Wayne.

He’s a businessman or maybe just wealthy? There’s an accident and he’s in the hospital. Unable to walk. I thought it was a war movie.

A nurse inspires him to relearn to walk. It made a big impression on me (as a kid) seeing my hero using canes.

I thought it was the The Fighting Seabees. I watched it last night. He’s never in a hospital.

Anyone remember this John Wayne movie?

It’s unusual to see JW vulnerable and depressed.

The Wings of Eagles.

It wasn’t a nurse: it was Navy buddy Dan Dailey getting him to wiggle his toe after falling down the stairs.

Awesome. Thank you. :grinning:

I’m going to watch it this evening. I haven’t seen Wings of Eagles since junior high school. I used to watch old movies with my grandmother. She introduced me to Clark Gable, John Wayne. and Cary Grant’s movies. My grandmother loved Loretta Young’s movies.

Ward Bond was a close friend of John Wayne. I’ve heard Wayne requested Ward Bond in many of his movies.

I can tolerate Wayne in about 3 movies at this point. True Grit, Rooster Cogburn and The Shootist.
The war movies he was, seemingly, always too old for the part. When he was playing a part that matched his true age he was better IMO.
Of course all the many westerns he was the same persona. Gets boring quickly.

He was great in a supporting role in The Longest Day and I still really like The Quiet Man. I understand there is plenty wrong with it, but I really like it. I agree on True Grit, my favorite western of his, easily.

Rio Bravo which had a lot of comedy, especially Dean Martin. It was pretty good.

Hondo and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon are my favorites. They’re not the typical westerns that Wayne usually made.

Wayne played a much older character in Yellow Ribbon. The character was a Cavalry officer on the verge of retirement. Wayne dyed his hair gray and wore glasses to read.

John Ford got the most out of John Wayne. They had a father and son relationship. Ford would chew him out for not doing his best in a scene. Ford would cut him down to size even when Wayne was a big star.

Isn’t Rio Bravo and Eldorado the same movie? Different actors. Except Wayne.

I like the one with Mitchum best.

Then there’s Rio Lobo.

What? They run out of scripts?:roll_eyes:

They do it right by remaking it thrice. :wink:

One random person’s perspective/opinion on Mr. Wayne’s friendship with Mr. Bond:

“…Bond was a racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic alcoholic who regularly cost people jobs on films by putting out the word that they were “red” or Communists. The fact that Wayne associated with such a despicable human being and belonged to an organization [the Motion Picture Alliance] that specialized in rumor and destruction of other people with little proof of anything and instead just their own mean-spirited gut feeling makes one really look at the character of a guy like Wayne who wanted to be seen by his audience as “the good guy,” the hero who would look out for the little man, the brave soldier, cowboy etc. It was just one example of the hypocrisy at the heart of John Wayne…” - Trending in reviews (first review)

Well screw Ward Bond, though as he died before I was born, doesn’t much matter, but as to John Wayne …

Give this article a read, especially the part about Hedda Harper publicly chastising Wayne.

Although Wayne believed in maintaining the American ideals in film, he was not in favor of blacklisting. He felt that denying a person the right to work based on their political orientation was wrong. He was also tolerant of industry professionals once associated with the Communist Party who apologized and asked for a second chance. Wayne’s understanding attitude did not sit well with many of the members of the alliance.

Wayne’s liberal peers didn’t agree with his involvement with the MPA, but respected his conservative views and recognized him as a “fair minded individual who was not a reactionary, but a balanced, understanding man.”

And John Wayne is far from a beloved actor for me or anything else, but I think fair is fair and blaming him for the crap his buddy since college did doesn’t seem fair.

From the article you posted:

“John Wayne served three consecutive terms as president of the Motion Picture Alliance… Industry professionals sympathetic to the plight of the individuals who bravely endured being blacklisted accused the MPA of not only being too compliant with the HUAC, but for being anti-labor, anti-Semitic, anti-women and anti-Negro.”

Wayne may not have agreed with blacklisting, but he headed an organization devoted to it and other racist, sexist, anti-Semitic, anti-working class tenets of “the American Way.”

P-tui!

This comment seemed to come out of nowhere. The quote I posted simply said Wayne was pals with the despicable Bond, not that he should be blamed for anything Bond did. Nevertheless, it does seem like the MPA under Wayne embodied Bond’s beliefs and actions. Kinda makes you stop and think…

I was going off this.

John Wayne and Kirk Douglas were complete opposites politically. Kirk said they often argued.

But they were able to set that aside and work together on several films.

I try to focus on an actors work on film. There are many actors today that I don’t agree with politically. But I like the tv and films they make.

Just to clarify, the reviewer’s other examples of Wayne’s hypocrisy have nothing to do with Mr. Bond, but rather focus on Wayne’s attitude towards the military as expressed in his films and real life actions.

Also - just to get the facts straight - according to Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals - Wikipedia, “John Wayne served four one-year terms as president of the Alliance from March 1949 to June 1953,” not three as cited in the Enss article.

Speaking of Kirk Douglas and John Wayne. The latter said to the former regarding Lust For Life:

“Christ, Kirk! How can you play a part like that? There’s so few of us left. We got to play strong, tough characters. Not those weak q****s.”

Wayne was about 20 years older than the character from the book in True Grit. But it was a good role for him and the book author like his portrayal.

Wayne was especially miscast as the 27 year old fit LtCol Vandervoort in the film, The Longest Day. The 55 year old Wayne was far too old and heavy to play that role.

I watched They Were Expendable. Robert Montgomery got top billing then Wayne. Donna Reed had third billing.

Directed by John Ford. He made the movie better than the script.

Montgomery’s character was in charge of the PT Boats. Wayne was skipper of a PT boat. He was an unlikable, hot-headed character. Tried to ignore an infected hand and almost lost an arm. He’s not a typical Wayne character.

This was 1945. It’s interesting that Wayne didn’t always get top billing at that point in his career.

Robert Montgomery served in the Navy and was awarded a Bronze Star. Wayne didn’t join the military.

Favorite Duke movie is Big Jake. It also starred the great Richard Boone as the villian. Along with Maureen O’Hara and Bruce Cabot, who passed away the following year.

I heard he was dead.

Not hardly.