Help me identify this tune (possibly the theme from a movie)

I would date it from around 1970. Very ethereal string piece, starts with two bold downstrokes on the violins. Has a kind of pulsating quality, more like a clock ticking than a heart beat:

SLASH! SLASH! Da-da-da. Da-da, da-da-da-da-da. Da-da.

SLASH! SLASH! Da-da-da. Da-da, da-da-da-da-da. Da-da.

Not from a science fiction movie. Maybe a romance/heist flick like The Thomas Crown Affair.

I heard it briefly on the radio a few days ago, and while I probably could have identified it immediately when I was younger, I now have a complete memory block and it’s driving me crazy!

Hmm, did the Kronos Quartet ever cover Louie Louie?

This is not your song, but it reminded me of Thomas Dolby’s Hyperactive (1984).

Tons of 70’s ethereal pieces like that, but the opening violins are throwing me. Maybe a Morricone piece? Doesn’t sound like John Barry, or Lalo Schifrin or Henry Mancini.

it’s not Beethoven’s Third, is it?

Oh, I think I know it.

But I just need you to hum it a little bit more.

Could you maybe hum away please?

Is it Danse Macabre?

None of the above. Not at all frenetic or macabre. More … pensive, if anything. Slow, like a clock ticking. The kind of music you might listen to in the dark in front of a lava lamp. (Well, I would, anyway.)

Definitely not classical. I would have recognized Beethoven’s Eroica instantly.

All the “slash, slash” makes me think of is Theme from Psycho (1960) - Shower Scene :smiley:

The first two notes of the above phrase sound like that, but slower and richer in tone. Not at all murderous, either. Maybe the kind of music you’d hear watching a spaceship as it sails through the galaxy or travels in time. But again, I’m pretty sure it’s not from a science fiction movie.

Stylistically speaking, does it sound anything like this?

Not really, no. Much slower and better paced. Also much richer.

Okay; using the Online Sequencer, I’ve come up with these:

G#5 G#5 F#5 E5 F#5 E5 C#5 C#5 D#5 E5 E5 A4 G#5 F#5

As far as I can determine with my limited musical knowledge, the beats are

ONE (rest); TWO (rest, rest, rest); three-and-four (rest). One, two (rest), and four and one-two (rest, rest, rest). Three, four.

Repeats.

There should be an app for this sort of thing; sing a few bars of the tune into your laptop or iPhone and it automatically finds the one you’re looking for (or a number of possibilities from which to choose). Whoever comes up with this will make a fortune!

And you heard it here first!

Well, there’s SongTapper

http://www.songtapper.com/public_html/

Soundhound does just that - I haven’t used it in a while so I pulled it up - and it got “America the Beautiful” from singing and “row row row your boat” from humming, but failed on two other ones that I am too embarrassed to mention.

I did not know of either of these.

Unfortunately, Soundtapper tells me my tapping is too short (I find that hard to believe), so I’ll give Soundhound a try.

Neither was much help, sad to say. :frowning:

Are you sure it’s not from The Thomas Crown Affair?

The only other suggestions I can make are The Ipcress Files

and

Boom!

Nope. None of the above.

Well, I now know exactly what it is, but I also cannot remember its name.

I keep thinking it’s “someone’s theme” from a war movie like The Killing Fields or Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, but neither of those are correct, it’s just a general feeling I have.

All the notes are bold strokes on violins, with a slow pace and long spaces between most notes.

Each dot is a beat.

Dum.....dum..dum......dum-dum-dum.....
dum..dum.....dum.dum-dum.....
dum-de-dum dum-de-dum dum-de-dum dum..dum........
dum.....dum-de-dum dum-de-dum dum-de-dum...dum