Help me out. Please.

You guys…

Now not only do I feel silly for starting this thread, I’m embarassed by all the nice things you are saying! Stop this instant! I am not supposed to be the teary one! I am evil! Evil, I say!

Apparently, there are just some things you have to deal with in life, no matter how confusing and strange! Who’da thunk it? I think they should tell us these things before we go out and make messes of our lives!

But since you guys made me cry, I’m going to give you one big hug:
{{{{{{{{{{**oldscratch :), bouv, absoul, Shayna :), Zette, tater :), johnboy, Scotti, Jeannie, Euty :), porcupine, poopah chalupa, Pollo Boyo :), Persephone, Silo, phouka, Serendipity :), dropzone, Spider Woman}}}}}}}}}}

Well, I sort of feel bad by adding to your embarrassment by not letting this thread die, but when I read the OP it just really hit me.

A few years ago my life was pretty sucky. I was absorbed in some problems. Parts of my personal life were absolutely joyless; I couldn’t be myself much of the time; I wasn’t happy. But I had an outlet in a message board chat room thing. It’s where I met fellow Doper ricepad. It was the one part of my life that consistently worked. Sure, I didn’t like everyone, but the people I did like appreciated me for all the right reasons, stimulated my mind, made me laugh my ass off.

Sometimes it was an escape. Some people, hearing about it now, might think it was too much of one, that it removed my motivation to make changes and straighten the bad parts of my life out. Not so. It was a respite from the shit. It was also a constant reminder that there were good people out there in the wider world, that things COULD be satisfying. It really helped me through a rather tough time. And I think it helped to wake me up to what was wrong. Once I put my finger on it, and mustered my will, I had the strength to start to rearrange my private life a little better.

I dunno, maybe the SDMB is like that for others. Maybe for you. That’s what I thought of when I read your post, even though you were as vague as I am being! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you added to my embarassment, Cranky! :wink:

Again, I just want to thank you guys for being great. I really need this.

*With a little perserverance
You can get things done without
A blind adherence
That has confused some…

Cause no one can take away
Your right to fight
And to never surrender*

Never surrender, Beth, Never Surrender!

Sorry…it seemed like that was called for right now.

I’m not sure why we are struggling the way we are, or if anything good can come out of it…but I do know that dammit, we’re not like other people and I, for one, will be damned if we go through life just blindly accepting things without questioning them.

I think our struggles define us. We are what we fight. Make of that what you will. I’m finding my peace in knowing that when of all this is over, I might not be any happier, but I will be wiser. I wish I could tell you that everything is going to go your way, but I don’t know that. All I know is this is who we are, and nothing is going to make me be ashamed of that again.

Um, nobody knows what I’m talking about, do they?

And I can’t close without saying this:

Now the world don’t move
To the beat of just one drum
What might be right for you
May not be right for some…

And if you take nothing else I say to heart, know this…there is great comfort and joy to be found in singing sitcom theme songs. Even if they strap you up and take you away, you can still get nice drugs out of the deal.

:smiley:

Oh, and I love you. Not for your posts but because of the real person behind them.

You hear that world? I Love Beth!

And no, there will not be pictures. :stuck_out_tongue:

::sniff, sniff::

Corey Hart lyrics and everything! Isn’t she the greatest?

You know what Tracy, I bet we can break the rules. Or at least bend them to suit us. If anyone can, we can. I say we go for it. In our own respective ways, of course!

(Pictures? I thought you destroyed all of those!!!)

*Give us any chance we’ll take it
Give us any rule we’ll break it
We’re going to make our dreams come true

And we’ll do it our way,
Yes, our way
Make all our dreams come true…*

Yup, if you think about your life as a sitcom instead of a Lifetime Movie things seem a lot cheerier. :smiley:

And I destroyed most of the pics, but can you blame me for keeping the really specials ones?

evilbeth, we all love you! I’ve loved you ever since your initial reply to my question in this thread…

BUT, this is only a message board! My advice (from a person as f***ed up as you, if not more so!) is to take a break for a while. Don’t read, post, or even think about SDMB for a month or so, and re-attatch yourself to the real world!

Cyberlife does NOT equal real life… real life CAN be better, if you give it a chance!

Let me add, as others have: e-mail me if you need support/(slightly suspect) advice/ help… we’re here for you!

Neeeear, faaaar/
Wherever you are…

(OK, sorry… I couldn’t think of any relevant lyrics…)

I hear ya, {{{{{{evilbeth}}}}}}

spooje would never miss a chance to throw out an evilbeth hug.

{{{{{{{{evilbeth}}}}}}}}}
I got a million of 'em.
[sub]As my people like to say, ‘this, too, shall pass’.[/sub]

I think, Bethie, that we all go through just what you are going through. When I first got my home computer, I was on it constantly. For about 8 months I had virtually no real life outside of my computer. I would go to work, as soon as I got home on came the computer. I didn’t want my family calling me or my friends. I didn’t have time to talk to them I was on the computer. The first thing someone would ask me when they called, “Are you on the computer?”.
I didn’t even know about this board at that time. Which is a good thing because I would have probably quit work to stay on the computer all the time then.
But realization hit, as it does with most people. I have made some wonderful online friends that will be friends for life. But I made myself stop turning on the computer. I started limiting myself to a couple of hours a day, now I go days without even turning it on.
The little amount of posting I do now on the board, I usually do from work, first thing in the morning, on a break, or at lunch. I rarely read the boards at home any more.
I also find that I spend more time in winter during the cold weather on the computer than I do in the warmer weather when I can be outside. I think you’ll see a difference then in yourself too.
Feel free to email me any time.

{{{{{'beth}}}}}

Oh, sweetie, I think I know what you’re going through. I am totally addicted to this place, and it was pushing into my family time. I’ve put a stop to that, so now I just let it cut into work. Oh, well. I hate my job anyways. The challenge is gone.

In a month or so, I’m moving to Calgary and getting a new job, so I doubt I’ll have much time to be on here after that. That saddens me, but maybe it’s a good thing. Right now, SDMB feels like a substitute life to me, and I don’t think that’s healthy. “Everything in moderation,” “too much of a good thing,” and all those other cliches.

But there are two things bothering me right now: your sadness, which I think might mean you need to rebalance your life and have a look at your priorities; and the fact that you’re keeping that body hidden away inside, depriving so many of your gorgeousity. Don’t be so selfish, 'beth. Get outside and share. :slight_smile:

Sorry about my sucky grammar, but I’m in a rush. I actually have work to do today, but I had to come in here and commiserate. Feel better, sweetie.

Thanks guys!

You guys are great–I appreciate so much everyone who posted here and those of you who e-mailed!

It’s time for another group hug:

{{{{{{{{{{Cranky, Astroboy, Cajun Man, spooje, Twisty :), ultress, St. Attila (is it any wonder he’s my favorite poster?), Sue Dunhym :slight_smile: }}}}}}}}}}

Also, I have to give smilies to Spider Woman and Scotti! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

And another one to {{tater}} for being herself! :slight_smile:

You guys have no idea what this means to me! Even though I am bouncing back from the mysterious, hideous funk that took over my brain the other day, I am still coming back here to read and reread all the wonderful comments from my friends!

I love you guys!

[sub]Here’s hoping I didn’t forget anyone! If so, I am so sorry! [/sub]

Um, not to put a damper on things Astroboy, but we all recently found out that this is a touch more than a message board. Although, you are right, I feel we are a bit closer than others.
Tater, you are a Goddess. I cried for Beth, and then you made me smile.

Now, Mistress Beth, how do I get in on this group hug thing? You know I have to be there when there are things being done in groups especially when it involves touching! :smiley:

Chin up love. You have many people here who love you to pieces.
Who else would I have to complain about always beating me to post in threads?
I am so not good with the e-mail thing, but message me in ICQ at16971971

Well, Kricket, can I give you a hug by yourself right now and get you in a group hug later? There’s not alot of people to touch but there is me… :wink:

{{{{{Kricket}}}}}

OK, Kricket, I’ll conceed that this is a little more than just a message board… I think we have here a community of people who: 1) are smarter than average (MUCH for the most part! Possible exception: me :frowning: )2) care about each other, even though we have never met each other (again, for the most part…) 3) uh… OK, I was drinking earlier with my fiancee, and have lost any semblance to coherancy…

Anyways, back to the original point: this IS a bit more than just a message board… but still… if one feels that one no longer belongs in one’s normal non-cyber life, maybe it’s time to take a break!!

Anyways, evilbeth, as Dan Rather used to say at the end of the evening news (before his co-workers, I assume, razzed him into stopping it): “Courage!”

Beth, you’ve always been one of the most interesting posters ever since I got here, and I’ll be damned if I don’t say you rock.

YOU ROCK!

Enjoy yourself.

BTW, Kricket

Did I miss something (possible, as I’ve been busy recently)? To what are you referring? Link, please!

Evil One,

We newbies have our heroines, too.
And evilbeth shines, even
when cloudy

beth, I was just talking to a friend of mine about this last night! How I sometimes have to make a decision to either go outside and be social or stay home and be social with all of you. It’s tough in that it is a lot easier to meet people and find out about them here because there is generally a lot more of the person available to review (past and current posts and others reactions/comments on them) than you would have IRL. I would tend to think that in some instances, people are a bit more open here, well, maybe it’s a chat thing, but you know what I mean.

For me, it’s a little more involved because I came to this board when I was living in NC, then moved to Ohio and am now on assignment in Kentucky. I’ve met and left friends a’plenty in the last year but those on the board travel with me everywhere. When I went to Denver for training, I was able to see you all. When I go home for a weekend, you’re there. Every night when I head into mIRC, I know some of you will be there, even if I only pop in to say “Hi, how’s everyone doing? Well, gotta go.” IRL, this is not the case. I’m lucky in that I’ve made some friends everywhere I’ve moved, but those two or three friends have lives too, that often don’t include me. So…what to do. I make a decision to go out alone. I’ve been to movies alone, I’ve gone to pubs alone and you know, it’s not great, but it’s not that bad.

Part of what lets me not worry about going out is knowing that if the evening is a bust, I can come home and log on and you all will be there. I had to decide that going out and being social was not necessarily more important than being here with you guys, but at least as important. There is nothing wrong with feeling that the people here are your friends, though I think some parts of society have formed a stigma of “on-line losers” and don’t understand that real and true friendships can and do develop between people that have never met and might not ever meet. Some people liken on-line friendships to the trash you hear about in the news of sickos taking advantage of people they meet online then IRL without realizing that that is such a miniscule percentage of the people on the net, and that the people here, by and large, are not those new-worthy freaks.

We are intelligent, compassionate, witty, flirty, interested, normal people that have had the luck to find this site, this community, and introduce ourselves. We are neighbors, friends and sparring partners, and there is no shame in wanting to be more a part of this than the one outside your door. This is not “a substitute for meaningful human interaction", this is meaningful human interaction and it is just as real.

I wish I were more articulate, that I might be able to convey what I mean better, but I’m not. I’m an engineer, a Marine and a single guy away from home that just had his 28[sup]th[/sup] birthday and got to celebrate it with a couple of phone calls and emails, a few beers with one of my friends down here and numerous birthday wishes from Dopers from all over the country and world. I have no regrets about the time I spend here and I make no excuses to those that don’t understand. [{(|Evilbeth|)}]

-Eric

[sub]
p.s.: all of thinksnows’ extended family is either in New York or the Netherlands, so he only sees them about once every four years. Many of his closest friends and all of his Marine Corps buddies live hundreds or thousands of miles away and only communicate by phone or letter. He is used to relationships based more on content than personal appearance. [/sub]