Help me plan my next road trip. Georgia to Alaska!

Have you read this about firearms:
http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

Did you look at the Google maps directions. From Atlanta to Anchorage is about 4300 miles, about 74 hours. Start with that route and then see what scenic attractions there are not too far off the route.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=atlanta%2Cga+to+anchorage%2Cak

Some good suggestions.

A nice stop along the Seward highway is the town of Girdwood and the Alyeska Hotel (Alaska’s best hotel). Even if you don’t stay there, you can make a day trip of it, take the hiking trails around the hotel, and have dinner at one of the popular places to eat in town like the Double Musky.

In Anchorage, not a lot of good “tourist” options other than the Coastal trail around the outskirts of downtown Anchorage (nice trail with ocean views). You can rent bikes in downtown area if you prefer biking to walking. If you want to hike around Anchorage, Flattop Mountain is a 20 minute drive from downtown, and only about a 2 hour hike. But the views are gorgeous on even a decent weather day.

Good point. If you do decide to go through Canada and you’ve still got Glacier National Park in your plans, then be aware that while there are border crossings near the park, they tend to be open seasonally and/or only open at certain times of the day. The closest that is open 24/7 is the crossing at Coutts, AB/Sweetgrass, MT, at the northern end of I-15; which is a long way away from Glacier NP.

Wikipedia gives a list of all Canada-US crossings and their hours here, though you may want to confirm that information with the proper authorities before you go.

Sounds like a fun trip.However, I am still not clear if this is a one-way or round-trip? I hope it is one-way if you are doing it over 3 weeks. That would be a hell of journey do round-trip in 3 weeks but one-way sounds leisurely enough.

Nothing to see there. It would be a complete waste of time to drive there. Far better off leaving Las Vegas to Death Valley, Yosemite or Tahoe.

Agreed. It actually looks better in pictures! I was expecting this Grand Spectacle and when I got there I was like, “This is it? Really?”

**Do not **try to bring a gun to Canada, and make damn sure in advance that those fuckers are gonna let you in. Lets just say that my long-planned and prepared for Alaska trip turned into a Glacier/Yellowstone trip in the blink of an eye.

Mt. Rushmore was underwhelming, but the Crazy Horse Memorial was amazing. I’d recommend everyone go see that.

I think you should make a point of driving through Calgary and Banff area - and stopping for a beer in Calgary. :slight_smile:

I have to disagree with the Double Musky. No reservations, so you’ll end up in a long line, and while the steaks are large, they’re nothing special. The place survives on its name and nostalgia. If you go to Girdwood, take the side trip to Crow Creek Mine. My childhood friend’s grandfather used to own it and I spent some great summer days up there. It’s now a tourist place, but the original buildings are still there and you can pan for gold in the creek. They still fly the Norwegian flag in honor of old Arne Erickson (the aforementioned owner). Also, take the chair lift to the top of Alyeska; nice views of Turnagain Arm from up there.

Flattop is a favorite place for Anchorage-ites, and deservedly so. Lots of trails up there and spectacular views of the Anchorage bowl and both the Turnagain and Knik arms of Cook Inlet. On a clear day you can see Mt. McKinley, the Alaska Range, and that whole chain of volcanoes marching to the southwest.

Places to eat in Anchorage: Glacier Brewhouse, White Spot Cafe (halibut sandwich), Orso (next to the brewhouse), Lucky Wishbone (for fried chicken and good burgers; also, the oldest restaurant in the city), and Long Branch Saloon for the best burger in town.

I’m curious as to why the OP is planning to carry firearms (plural) for a three-week trip. There are no open seasons in Alaska in the spring and you run the risk of them being stolen out of your car.

I just know that after 3 summers of tour directing, almost every guest from my groups loved the Double Musky. But not for everybody I guess.

The OP’s US military and is moving from one military installation to another.

Good info on the border crossings. Thanks!

It’s a permanent move to Anchorage. But with that said, I can always use advice on what to do once I am actually settled in. I will check out all of these things. Thanks.

I considered a stop in White Sands to see the Space Monument or whatever is out there, but looking online it seems there isn’t anything out there except a lot of white sand. Caverns seems neat, I will have to look into that.

It’s going to be handguns and possibly some NFA stuff. I was reluctant to ship them, but I think I just might. Going through Canada seems more fun and much cheaper.

Awesome. I’d love to read them.

Great links and info. Thanks!

I did, but I hated that route. I kept modifying it by dragging the little line to new destinations until I came up with the one I have so far. That will likely even change further in the next 8 months.

Thanks. Where in Alaska are you?

One way trip. I am moving to Alaska. The 3 weeks is flexible as well. I could make it 4 weeks or even longer if I decide to.

I’ll keep that under considerations. I kind of just wanted the obligatory picture by the gate, but you’re right that it’s a long drive to get there. I think it’s going to depend on my motivation to go out there once I am leaving Vegas. I figured it would give me an opportunity to take my Commander out for a spin in the desert.

I’ve heard this from a lot of people actually. Which is why I originally took it off my list. I think this one will also depend on my motivation to go there after leaving Colorado Springs. I am going to visit a friend at Ft Carson along the way.

That good? They’ve only finished the head so far, right?

I am moving to Alaska, and I didn’t want to run the risk of them being lost or stolen in shipment. I think I am going to go that route now, though.

Thanks!

Yup. Starting next Spring, I’ll be calling Anchorage, AK home for the next couple years. If I don’t freeze to death.

Ah, now I see. Will you have base housing at Ft. Rich? If you’re going to be off base, you might want to look for a place in Eagle River instead of Anchorage. The east end of Anchorage is not the best area for good neighborhoods, although there are multi-family places in some spots that don’t look too bad. There’s temporary housing on base and military guys under orders have precedence. Check on line for reservations/requirements. I guess if you’re single, you’ll be in the barracks, though.

On your way north from the southwest US, take a side trip to the Redwood Forest in northern CA and Crater Lake, which is not far off of I-5 in southern Oregon. Also, drive the Oregon Coast highway, then cut inland on Highway 30 from Astoria to continue north to Seattle. It’s far better than staying on I-5 and you’ll miss the traffic jam in Portland. Las Vegas is overrated.

If you are going through Canada, I would suggest crossing at the Coutts-Sweetgrass border crossing, heading through Calgary (doper stop if you want), west on Highway 1 through Banff (you can head north on 93 to Jasper if you want to take the side trip - it’s off the direct route and will require an overnight), Golden, Revelstoke, Salmon Arm to Kamloops. From Kamloops, you head north on Highway 97 to Dawson Creek, which is Mile Zero on the Alaska Highway. From there you pretty much follow the highway up through the Yukon and in to Alaska. If you stay in Whitehorse, stay at the Skky hotel (best one in town).

How frequent are the gas stations on the route through Canada? Northwest Canada and Eastern Alaska seem like they might be few and far between. Is this assumption accurate? Is it a fill-up-when-you-see-one type thing, or are there plenty?

In Canada, they are frequent enough that you won’t have to worry, even once past Dawson Creek and heading north to the Yukon. If there is a big enough gap between stations (say, more then 100 km’s), there will be signs warning you to fill up now if you are low.

Which brings up something that I’m surprised Chefguy et al haven’t already mentioned: The Milepost. If you’re considering driving through Canada rather than taking the ferry, it’s prit’ near a necessity; even if you do take the ferry, it’ll be surprisingly useful after you arrive. You can order it online, or it should be available at any decentish bookstore close to the border (and it looks like they’ve succumbed to the app craze as well).

I live in Anchorage and work near Elmendorf/Ft Richardson. It’s a fantastic state to live in, especially if you love the outdoors. I actually love the winter and am already looking forward to it. Do you enjoy any winter rec activities like skiing/snowboarding, snow machining (snowmobiling), camping, ice fishing, snowshoeing, etc? If you do, that will help a ton. People who sit inside all winter are the ones who hate it.

“Fuckers”? Seriously?

It’s our country, and we make the rules. Guns are not allowed unless you have filled out the right paperwork and paid the fees in full, among other requirements. If you don’t like these rules, well… Anyway, it’s not your country. You have no say in what we decide to do as regards guns.

And we are not “fuckers.”

ETA, because I was timed out on the edit window:

Ship your guns from the continental US to Alaska. That way, you avoid the problems you’ll encounter with them in Canada.

Yup. No one gettin’ laid in the whole country.