A little help here, I thought I was computer literate, but I’ve just been tagged.
Last night I downloaded a couple of programs from sites I saw on Tch TV. Everything was freeware, honest. Well, I came back to the computer after a while and it was obvious I just let in the evil beast:
- My Internet Explorer shortcut on my start bar now takes me to paint. IE still works, but only if you go through “favorites” from the start bar.
- There were dozens of new favorites leading to porn sites, online casinos, online pharmacies and the like.
- Upon booting up the computer, a new taskbar appears on my desktop.
- Upon getting onto the web the first time, a different taskbar appears.
- And most annoying, random pop-up’s appear, even when I’m not on the web. I’ll be sitting there, and IE will start on it’s own and bring up some ad.
Anyway, I did have all the protections - firewall, virus scans, I’m careful about what I download (but these were recommended by Tech TV), but I’m sure I invited this in when I downloaded. Any advice on how to get rid of the problem?