OK, I have a slow cooker. I have chicken (now thawed, but safely in the refrigerator). I have canned chickpeas (chicken+chickpeas is a household favorite). We’re starting with those two, and I have chicken bullion if it seems a good idea to boost the “chicken” aspect of this idea.
Now, vegetables and stuff - I have:
- “restaurant mix” mushrooms - baby bella, oyster, and shiitake
- just plain old baby bellas
- carrots (fresh and canned)
- celery (will probably use leafy parts for this)
- potato (a baking potato, instant mashed potatoes, and canned potatoes)
- onions and/or garlic (but the spouse says go easy on the onions due to overwhelming odor incidents in the past. Maybe use the green onions?)
- green beans (frozen and canned)
- red, orange, and yellow bell peppers (mostly for color, I think)
For the sauce/broth part of this I have a selection of possibilities:
- condensed cream of celery soup
- condensed cream of mushroom soup
- turkey gravy
Now, I know there are people here with more slow cooker experience than myself - what combinations would folks suggest I use? And yes, I do know that anything frozen needs to be thoroughly defrosted before slow cooking.
(No, I’m not adding hot sauce or a lot of seasonings - I tend to make large food batches pretty bland, then add something just before serving. It also keeps things interesting if I can vary the flavor over the 3-4 days we’re likely to be eating this.)