Help me use up some Audible credits

I use audible.com to listen to books and have built up a surplus of credits. I’m now at 12 and I gotta use some up because that’s the max they will let me roll over. I’d like to get my credits down to below 6 so I can switch to the lower plan.

Does anyone have any awesome books they got on audible they would like to recommend?
My favorite (audio) authors are: Neil Gaiman, Sarah Vowell, Christoper Moore, Jim Butcher (just Dresden, couldn’t get into Codex), and Robert Heinlein.

Halp!

I’m probably going to get into the Iron Druid series at some point, which from what I hear is pretty Dresden-like. Doesn’t have Marsters reading it though, so I’m skeptical.

I’ve also been slowly amassing the entire Discworld collection through audiobook. Stephen Briggs and Nigel Planer, the principal Discworld readers, are really good. That there’s a credit black hole.

Lastly, one other option is Scalzi’s work, which is primarily sci-fi: Old Man’s War, The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, and Zoe’s Tale (all part of the same series), as well as Fuzzy Nation and Redshirts. The latter two are relatively short but entertaining novels, both read by Wil Wheaton.

Have you read any of David Sedaris’ books? I absolutely loved hearing him read them.

“Me Talk Pretty One Day”, “Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim” and “When You Are Engulfed in Flames” were the three I enjoyed from Audible.

Have you seen that they relatively recently released Good Omens in audio? I haven’t listened to it yet, but I’ve liked other things I’ve heard from that narrator (Martin Jarvis).

Along the same lines, John Connolly’s The Gates is sort of a Good Omens-style story for younger readers, and its narration is extremely well done.

Yeah, I got Redshirts and really enjoyed it, but that was the only Scalzi I have experienced. I’ll look into more of his stuff. :slight_smile:

Loved, loved, loved Good Omens. Its on my mp3 player with Ananzi Boys as a go to “listen anytime” book.

I’ve been plugging Deathless by Catherynne M Valente all over the place, lately. Russian folktale elements set in early-Stalinist Russia. House-elves causing mischief by committee, Comrade Baba Yaga and a bureaucratic dragon. Gorgeous language and a fantastic narrator.

Am currently enjoying Every Day by David Leviathan - think Quantum Leap for teens; except the main character doesn’t know why he/she is in a different person every day and has no specific task to accomplish. Some great portrayals of LGBT characters along the way. NOTE: If vocal fry gets on your nerves - do NOT get this audiobook - Alex McKenna rasps & croaks all the way thru - it fits the characters I guess, but I can see where it could get annoying.

Another Pratchett recco: Nation - it’s not part of Discworld and is a YA novel, but has a great story with well-drawn characters. A young boy returns to his primitive South Seas island home to discover a tidal wave has wiped his village from the face of the earth - and stranded an English girl there as well.

Dodger (also by Terry Pratchett) is very good as well - Charles Dickens and the Artful Dodger team up to save a young woman from a powerful, abusive husband/family.

I just finished Dark Matter, and loved it. It’s a ghost story set in the arctic in winter - very creepy, and beautifully narrated by Jeremy Northam.

If you liked Redshirts, it might do to check out Ready Player One, which looks very intriguing and is also narrated by Wheaton.

I’m currently listening to Nine Princes in Amber, and I was just thinking the other day that it reminds me a bit of Heinlein, in the personality and presentation of the main character as well as the female characters so far. For me, this isn’t a plus, but if you like Heinlein, it could be one to check out. It’s fantasy, not sci-fi though.

My husband and I really liked the Moonlight Bay books by Dean Koontz. I know, I know, it’s Dean Koontz. But this is some of his best stuff, and Keith Szarabajka is a fantastic reader.

There’s always George R.R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire. I’ve heard books 4 and 5 suffer from poor narration, but Dotrice does a pretty good job with the first three.

Sarah Vowell tells me that you might like quirky history books.

Yugo was a good book and well read.

If you don’t get enough recommendations from this thread, Here’s a thread from earlier this year asking for audiobook recommendations, and here’s an older one, in which (in its Post #3) there are links to yet older ones.

It may or may not be what the OP is looking for, but it might be worth mentioning that audible.com has other audio entertainment besides just books (like, for example, British radio series, which can be pretty good—The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy started out as a British radio series, after all).

I’m currently listening to Roots, narrated by Avery Brooks, and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

If you want some funny, I love Tim Dorsey’s books. The ones narrated by George Wilson are the older ones, but George Wilson is an amazing narrator.

I listened to The Help a few months ago, and it may be the best audiobook I’ve listened to yet. It was performed by 4 different narrators for each “voice” of the book. It was incredible.