Help Me Win a Trivia Contest

…on the Steve & DC Show.

The contest is called “All or Nothing.” They ask five questions, and they tell the participant how many they got right, but not which ones they got right. Then, after the show, they post the correct answers on their web site.

The questions are tough, but not ridiculously so. That is, they aren’t questions like “What Happens On May 33rd, But Only On a Leap Year?”

Here are the five questions, with the two revealed answers and my thoughts on the other three:

1. At any given moment, 7/10 of one percent of the world’s population is…?

I’m thinking: infected with AIDS.

2. This recording artist had a #1 hit every year during the 1990’s?

The revealed answer is: Mariah Carey.

3. At any given moment, an estimated 700 million people are doing this?

The revealed answer is: making love.

4. An estimated 19 billion dollars will be spent on these this year, with the average costing $85?

I’m thinking: DVD’s.

5. According to trade groups, what is the most sung song in churches today?

Amen, How Great Thou Art, and Amazing Grace have all been ruled out. Right now I’m thinking: Holy, Holy, Holy/ However, it may be something that no one would ever think of, such as Happy Birthday. Or maybe it’s some passage that is sung in every Catholic mass every Sunday.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

UPDATE

I got on the show this morning, and all three of my answers were wrong. I guess it’s back to Square One.

Lessee…that’d be, what, 42 million people? Not a bad guess.

If they mean hymn, I’d guess Old Hundredth (you know; “Praise God from Whom all blessings flow…”). If they mean “song” as in solo work, it’s probably that bloody Schubert Ave Maria. Ick.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by jr8 *

That’s also known (at least in the Baptist Hymnal) as The Doxology. That was also the hymn that I was thinking.

4. An estimated 19 billion dollars will be spent on these this year, with the average costing $85? I’m thinking that this could be Razor type scooters. They’re big. Big baby, big.

Hmm.

700 million people at any given time? There are about 6 billion people in the world at the moment, and of those about 2 billion are below the age of sexual maturity. So of 4 billion people, on average just over one sixth of them are making love?

The average person in the world spends 4 and a half hours a day making love?

I don’t buy this. Not one bit.

As to questions four and five, relevant but not stated inside the question is “in America?” or “in the world.”

The item in question is expected to sell 220 million units ($19 billion divided by $85). In America or in the world, I don’t suspect Razor scooters are that big–they seem to be mainly an American stupidity, and not everyone is buying one.

I’m thinking the answer is stereos, and they’re talking worldwide.

LL

Do you think wedding songs count? If so, my guess would be The Wedding Song (There is Love). I can’t tell you how many weddings I’ve been to where that crappy song was played. I’m not sure what other songs are sung regularly, but I really think a love song would be a good guess.

I’m not a big church-goer, but isn’t there a “okay, you can finally leave now” tune that’s played in many churches?

Or could it perhaps be a tune used in Islamic ceremonies?

As for #1, the number should be about 42 million. How about 42 million people surfing the Internet?

Sleeping? Yawning? Blinking?

I haven’t given these a lot of thought, just giving you my initial responses.

1. At any given moment, 7/10 of one percent of the world’s population is…?

Asleep

4. An estimated 19 billion dollars will be spent on these this year, with the average costing $85?

Prescription drugs

5. According to trade groups, what is the most sung song in churches today?

The Hallelujah Chorus or We’ve Only Just Begun