Help me with my rump.

…Rump Roast that is!
We often get Rump Roasts because of their relatively inexpensive price and leanness. I’ve never had it prepared any other way than in typical pot roast fashion-- Roast the hell out of it for a few hours with a bit of water to braise and maybe some potatoes and carrots added during the last hour. I like it well enough but it is often very dry and well, just ordinary. Anyone have a good recipe for Rump?
How do you like your Rump?

Same but add some Italian dressing to the mix.

Bon appetit!

Brine* it. Brine the Hell out of it. It will make it much less dry and increase the flavor.

For even more flaor, a marinade* can be used.
*A brine is basically just salt water, though usually with some sugar and slight flavors. A marinade has lots of flavors, and usually has a salt, sweet, and acid component.

What bouv said. Brine the everloving crap out of it, then brown it in the frying pan on all sides before you put it in the oven to roast. Add some chopped onion and a minced garlic clove to your vegetables, and don’t just use water to braise; I buy packets of roast beef seasoning to add to the water, or use beef stock, or any other kind of flavorful liquid.

I can’t believe you’re really looking for rump roast recipes.

Anyway, my mother does about the same thing as Marlitharn suggests, except she’s into injecting it with one of those meat syringes and shoving garlic into slits in the meat. A coupe of days ago, she made a rump roast on the grill as above, except there was butter involved. Butter makes everything better, really.

[QUOTE=Miss Purl McKnittington]
I can’t believe you’re really looking for rump roast recipes.
QUOTE]

Yes, it’s true, I do love to cook. I also like to read and I really am currently reading I, Lucifer. Unfortunately, I don’t knit but my Grandmother (R.I.P.) was a great and prolific knitter and we have all kinds of knitted throw blankets and other projects that she made for us… I used to do latch-hook, does that count? Lest I fall from glory and become less than under the table do-worthy, I can’t dance formally, but I like to groove and have got some moves… think Rerun meets Napoleon Dynamite! :slight_smile:

How you doin?

Well I’ll be… I love rump roast, especially for sandwiches, but I hate that it’s always dry and tasteless. I searched the web to remedy this problem, and a site I came upon said NOT to brine rump roasts. HA! Next time, I’ll be brining!

Bouv- Do you have the ratio for the salt, sugar & acid combo? How long do you let it sit in brine? Enquiring minds want to know!

What is it with you folks? You can’t roast a rump, ya gotta crock it.

Potatoes, onions and carrots in the bottom of the crock pot, rump roast on top. Add a can of beef stock or bullion and cook all day.

The meat falls apart.

That’s exactly how I do my rump, bare. And it still comes out dry and tasteless. :confused:

You cook it in a crock pot and it comes out dry? :dubious:

Didn’t think it was possible.

Brown it in bacon fat before roasting.

Instead of water, use stock and wine. Or tomato juice or maybe stock+orange juice. (acidic liquids will help to tenderize it). Braise it at a very low temperature for a long time.

Sad but true. Happened 3 times. I even tried rubbing it down with olive oil, cooking it on low, and other variations.

After I read that brining a rump roast would turn out icky, I vowed to never cook one again. Which is sad because it’s the best cut for leftover roast beef sarnies.

But how do you make the interior of the meat tasty?

When you roast it, dice a couple of large onions and sit the joint on the diced onions. For the joint itself, slather it in olive oil and lightly salt the top. This will make the surface extra crispy. To ensure that the joint is done correctly, get yourself a meat thermometer.

Meat is already tasty :stuck_out_tongue: . Braising it in plain water will draw flavour out of it, though, which is why I suggest braising it in stock. The wine helps to tenderize it and also contributes some flavour.

Oh, latch-hook counts. And dancing can be taught . . .

That’s really wonderful that your grandmother was a knitter and you remember it so fondly, by the way. A handknit blanket is so much better than just any old blanket, isn’t it?

And I’m doin’ just fine. Good luck with your rump.

This is my recipe:

Get a nice cut of meat (duh)
2 cans of Beef stock
1 package of Lipton Onion Soup dry mix

you can add potatoes, carrots, chopped onion, whatever.

Put the meat with the stock in the crock pot on low for no less than 12 hours (I cook mine for 24 hours). During the last 1-3 hours, turn it up to high and add whatver extras you want. You can then serve with the juice (or jus). It falls apart and is oh so yummy! In fact, the people I’ve served it to say they’ve had no better. Have fun!