Okay, I live in a “Student Centered Apartment Community” here at school. My lease is through July 31.
Back in January, the property manager dropped off a letter at each apartment stating that if we signed a new lease for the following year, we’d get a reduced rate. My girlfriend and I decided to look at other living options, but kept this place as an option. When I paid our rent, the manager asked me what I plans were, and I told her that we were looking around but undecided.
A couple days later, an Intent to Vacate form was slid under our door. The next time I went to the office, the PM asked about it, and I told her that we were still looking around, but were 75% sure we would be moving out.
Fast forward to two weeks ago: I go to pay rent, and I tell the PM that as soon as we find out if we are approved for another apartment, we’ll get the Intent to Vacate form back to her. She tells me that our apartment is already rented out to someone else for next year.
I was a little upset, but we ended up getting approved at a better complex anyways. Here is where the problem comes in.
At the new complex, if we move in on or before May 1, we get two months free rent, but have a 14 month lease. Not too shabby, since by 6-30-05 my SO an I should both have our degrees and be looking for new jobs anyways. We decided to do this, and are moving in on the 28th of this month (yay!).
Now, we do have an overlap of one month where we’ll be paying two rents, but only living in one apartment. According to our PM, the only way out of this is to sublet our apartment. This isn’t easy around here; very few students stay for the summer, and this is a bit expensive.
Our lease says nothing about early termination. My dad, who cosigned on this apartment, is, for lack of a better word, pissed. The way he sees it, there is no written policy regarding early termination, and they rented out our apartment without telling us first. He wants us to be able to get out of (at least) that last month of rent. I’m not sure this is a good idea, or just a waste of time.
So, should we talk to a lawyer and see what options are available to us? Or should we just suck up the $615 dollars/month plus the electric bill?