Help me!

My experiences with quitting have taught me two things. #1: You can’t quit by not keeping cigarettes in the house, or you’ll just feel extra pressure next time you’re in the close proximity to butts.
#2. Pick any activity you really dislike (let’s say ironing). Set up the ironing board, get out the iron, and a basket of clothes in need of pressing. Leave these set up while you undergo withdrawal. Whenever you think you need a cigarette, go and do a little ironing until the feeling passes. You’ll be surprised at how quickly you’ll decide the feeling has passed. You won’t get much ironing done, most likely, but you also will learn to pass the craving stage quickly instead of fixating on it.
#3. (Obvious but effective) Take up a hobby that requires both hands and you can’t smoke while doing, for instance, needlework.
And good luck to you, there is medical research that indicates nicotine addiction is harder to kick than heroine, but human willpower is even stronger - hang in there baby.

Well its day two… its a little bit better today thanks to all of your helpful words and ideas!

Thank you all!

Frankie:

I’m going to be going where you are soon enough. One of the things I am drilling into my brain, and you should, too, is that you do not really want a cigarette. What you REALLY want is to satisfy the craving for the drug that you are physically addicted to. You are a kind of a junkie jonesing for a fix.

Smoking sucks. It is repulsive, unpleasant, stinky, nasty, and generally gross. You do not actually enjoy it. What you enjoy is not experiencing the discomfort of your addiction pulling at you, which is won’t if you smoke.

Put everything in perspective. Ever watched a movie with a junkie going through withdrawal? Ever thought to yourself: “Man, I don’t wanna be there, but if I was I would go through it and get out and never go back!” Well, here’s your chance.

I am #1. Everyone else is #2 or lower.

Item (attributed to Kermit Schafer):
From a news program in North Carolina: “A dog catcher’s truck overturned near a tobacco plantation. The driver was unhurt but the dogs escaped and ran crazily through the plantation.”
Commercial (immediately following); “Friends. Does your cigarette taste different lately?” :wink:

Well gang-
Its been a week and I feel ok. So I think maybe i will make it?

Thanks for your help. It’ll feel good to have this monkey off my back!