Help, my ear is plugged

I had a head cold a week and a half ago, and I seem to be over it, although my left ear is still plugged. Holding my nose and blowing gives me an occasional pop, but doesn’t clear the tube. I’ve q-tipped way beyond recommendation.

I could certainly use some doper suggestions
rubes

There was a thread on this in GQ a week or so ago…

But generally speaking: sudafed…shower steam…drink lots of water…if you’re up to it, you can try Hypertonic Saline Irrigation (it’s what I use with good success).

I’m not a doctor…yadda yadda

Go to a doctor. I had the same thing happen about ten years ago - after a bad cold, my ear was plugged. They determined I had a big ol’ plug of earwax in my ear canal, and quickly and painlessly removed it via irrigation. Plus, I could hear better than I had in years! Go do it.

I second the idea of going to the doctor. My ear was blocked for a couple of days and I went to my doctor and had it flushed out - one inital water spray and then a second one to get rid of any remaining bits. It was pretty cool - I got to see little bits of ear wax floating around in a bowl and the whooooosh as sound came flooding back was fantastic.

When we were kids, my dad used to pour gin in our ears when they got plugged up. I’d suggest going back to the doctor; you don’t want to mess with a possible hearing loss.

Well, ok, I guess I’ll have to schedule a doctors visit. I was hoping there was a wonder cure at Walgreen’s or where ever, but you guys are probably right.

thanks, though, this is probably the push I needed.

rubes

ok, 3:45 appt with Dr.Scott

You can dilute hydrogen peroxide in water and drip it into your ears. This “eats” at the infected wax that is no doubt blocking your ears. It’s the same thing that happens with swimmers ear, except the infection probably comes from your sinuses during your cold.

Just my two (2) cents.

One time I had this happen, about two years ago. I had been lifeguarding, and it turned out to be a terrible case of swimmer’s ear.

<TMI>
Basically my entire ear canal was swollen shut, they couldn’t even fit the little probe in to irrigate. They put in this little thing the doctor said was pretty much a tampon (there’s a nice thought) and I put antibiotics on it every day for a week. Eventually it opened back up, and they irrigated all this nasty mucus stuff out of it.
</TMI>

During the time before I saw the doctor, it was one of the most excruciatingly painful experiences of my life. I could barely even walk it hurt so bad, and forget hearing on the left side!
Abel, making the world safer with my super-vorpal level 38 double-wookie battle-felon. http://www.progressquest.com

Oh, I know…can’t even move your damn jaw. Hurts like hell!

If I didn’t already have a dr’s apptment, I think the tampon in the ear for a week story would have sent me running to the doc

Hey, I had swimmer’s ear too. Not to freak you out, rubes , but even the tampon cure didn’t work for me and my eardrum “popped” and bled all over my pillow one night. One of the most painful things I have ever experienced. Can hear fine now, though, after WEEKS of different antibiotics. But I did get some pretty great pain medication out of that ordeal;) . I have since learned never to use q-tips, it actually pushes the bacteria farther into your ear. Do the peroxide thing, or else you can get ear cleaning kits that irrigate pretty much the same way the Dr. does it at Walgreens.

Take it from me, kids, q-tips are not meant to be inserted into your ear canal, your ear “cleanses” itself by working the earwax out, q-tips push most of it back in (except for the little bit you get on the tip).

::sigh::

of all topics to know about, why does it have to be earwax?

I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Hey, I had swimmer’s ear too. Not to freak you out, rubes , but even the tampon cure didn’t work for me and my eardrum “popped” and bled all over my pillow one night. One of the most painful things I have ever experienced. Can hear fine now, though, after WEEKS of different antibiotics. But I did get some pretty great pain medication out of that ordeal;) . I have since learned never to use q-tips, it actually pushes the bacteria farther into your ear. Do the peroxide thing, or else you can get ear cleaning kits at Walgreens that irrigate pretty much the same way the Dr. does it.

Take it from me, kids, q-tips are not meant to be inserted into your ear canal, your ear “cleanses” itself by working the earwax out, q-tips push most of it back in (except for the little bit you get on the tip).

::sigh::

of all topics to know about, why does it have to be earwax?

I’m sure you’ll be fine.

-Be proud of your expertise, Velma! And, while we can never be in the same place, we can always pass in the night! :slight_smile:

Oh, and Rubes, see a doctor.

Went to see the doc for a 3:45 on friday, by the time I talked to the checkin person (I was in line in time) it was 3:50-3:55 depending on which clock. They took my name, told me to sit, and at 4:30 they informed me that the doc left because I was late.

So, I’m going back today, but I’ll see a different doctor

I know what you’re going through, I recommend

Rubes- Tell us what was going on with your ear!