Help! My wireless adapter won't work anymore.

It just suddenly died. I tried turning it off and on. I’ve tried disabling it. What else can I do? It’s a Toshiba laptop with an Atheros adapter.

This is an internal adapter on your laptop correct? Some laptops have both hard AND soft buttons for the adapter…don’t ask me why they just do. Does it show up in the device manager? It is possible that a recent windows driver update may have broke it. When you say it died what does that mean, does it show up at all? Have you checked the BIOS to see if it is enabled?

Like many things, multiple possible causes. I just had a similar problem and discovered someone had bumped the slider that turns the internal adapter on/off. I don’t kow why they put in on the front edge…

If it’s anything like MY toshiba, there were several points in its brief existence (December 25th, 2010 - March 2nd, 2011), where it would inexplicably cease to be wireless ready.

For me, the trick was to go into the device manager, find the wireless…dealy…Network adapter! That’s the one. Find that, and delete it. Restart the computer. It will now say “Wireless Connection 2” instead of “Wireless Connection,” and miraculously work for no good reason.

I think it’s Windows XP and toshiba’s pre-packaged software have an old fashioned brawl with one another. But I’m not that computer savvy, so I could be wrong.

What antonio107 said worked for the Atheros adapter in my Acer netbook when it got all fussy with me.

If you still have problems, see if you can re-install the driver[s] for the adapter.