[QUOTE=pizzabrat]
Right, just like it’s perfectly obvious that life was created by an intelligent designer. Considering how complex many organisms such as humans are, with all of their delicate organs working together to make a perfectly functioning whole, it’s absurd to think that this could have all happened by accident. That is, depending on who narrowly you set your POV.
Oh dear, does it just too inflammatory for you? Yeah, that happens when you try to argue that certain people are naturally stupid, which is what these discussions always boil down to.
Further troublesome is your delusion that you’re coming from some rational, disinterested position with “facts” on your side when you admittedly can’t even define intelligence. Try this - prove that you aren’t stupid. I don’t mean convince people, I mean prove, so that there can’t possibly be any dispute, just like there can’t be any dispute that George W. Bush is taller than Tom Cruise, or that a cheetah is faster than a tortoise. Now how do you expect anyone arguing with you about this to do the same about themselves are a bunch of strangers who look like them?
[/QUOTE]
I do not see the evidence for Intelligent Design so I am not sure where that is relevant. I do think intelligence is reasonably definable and measurable, as are other skillsets and traits.
Is it your position, then, that it is not possible to prove one population is more intelligent than the next because there is no adequate way to quantify intelligence to the point where there “can’t possibly be any dispute…” ?
Suppose, as an example, I am an alien looking at two populations about to go to war. The first goes to war with jet fighters and nuclear bombs. The second goes to war with sharpened sticks. I am going to include among my possible hypotheses that the first population is more intelligent than the second. I may entertain other possibilities also: culture; history; external geographic circumstance–whatever–but a difference in intelligence is in my pool of explanations assuming both groups have been around the same amount of time to develop cultures and advances commensurate with their ability to do so.
Suppose, further, that I want to test for this possible intelligence difference. I devise, and revise, a series of intelligence tests and ascertain broad averages among populations. These test may be in error. They may be inadequate. Nevertheless among the possibilities I entertain is that there may be actual differences among the populations I am observing because that is what my tests are demonstrating. There isn’t any a priori natural law of fairness that says my population group has the same average skillset as another, and so I am not going to discard those results outright simply because they have not passed some sort of “every population must be equal” litmus test.
Your use of the term, “naturally stupid” is the sort of inflammatory rhetoric I wish to avoid, but I ask your forgiveness if I inadvertently invoked your anger. I am interested in the way the world is even if it is not the way we wish it were, and I have tried to approach this particular topic with an open mind. I have seen no evidence to rule out inherited differences among populations as a reasonable explanation for those differences. The OP is asking for that evidence, and although he was provided with alternate possible explanations to pass along to his friend, no data has been forthcoming to show that there is no “natural” difference among population groups.
I must also apologize for not understanding your last sentence.