[QUOTE=pizzabrat]
Then what’s that definition (of intelligence)?
Suppose, for example, I am an alien looking at the human population on a monocultural Earth at two different time periods 2000 years apart. The first goes to war with jet fighters and nuclear bombs. The second goes to war with sharpened sticks. How much weight should I give to the possible hypotheses that this population has suddenly become, in terms of inheritable, fixed mental capacity, more intelligent?
[/QUOTE]
As to the ways that intelligence has been quantified, I am sure you are as aware as I. These intelligence tests have consistently shown significant variations across populations. You are of course, free to offer your criticisms of them, and you would not be alone in doing so. My own assumption is that if the tests are invalid, populations which test poorly would still be just as successful as everyone else. In fact, the opposite is true, and populations which test poorly (sub-saharan Africa, say) struggle without external assistance. I have only seen explanations for why these populations might test poorly; I have not seen any real challenge to the fact that they do test poorly.
As I understand it, what the OP is looking for is evidence (not just possible alternative explanations) that this intelligence difference is not innate.
If I understand your approach, it is to say that there is not an intelligence difference among populations, and that intelligence is neither measurable or inferable from looking at a population’s achievements (or other secondary manifestations). The discussion of that probably belongs elsewhere and would sidetrack the OP, I think. In any case it doesn’t seem likely you and I would come to agreement.
If you have some evidence at hand to help out the OP and his friend, I am sure he would appreciate it. In the interim his friend is going to look out at the landscape of the world and say,
“There is a reason blacks are over-represented in the NBA. There is a greater representation of the genes which produce that skillset in that population pool.”
“There is a reason Asians are over-represented in the Nerd Association. There is a greater representation of the genes which produce that skillset in that population pool.”
The friend may end up being wrong. The OP is asking, “What is the evidence that he is wrong?”