Help the beer newb find a good fruity beer

It certainly isn’t a “Hey, is this coffee I’m drinking” taste. It’s more of a overall roasted flavor that reminds me of coffee. To me it’s not overwhelming by any means. Like I said, I despise coffee and coffee flavored things, but I can drink Guinness (and other stouts) just fine.

Damn - now I have to go run out and get some lambic or I won’t be able to sleep tonight.

She said good fruit beers. That shit is nasty. Another fruit beer to avoid is Wild Blue Blueberry Lager. It tastes like rubbing alcohol that’s had blueberry aroma added to it.

4ths or 5ths on the Pyramid Apricot Ale and lambics. One of my favorite local brews was a black cherry stout that was DEVINE but was discontinued a few years back. :frowning:

By far the most memorably delicious beer experience involving the taste of fruit that I ever had was luxuriating in a huge glass tankard of Sudwerk Hefe Weisen, from the tap at the brewery in Davis, CA on a hot spring day with two lemon halves squeezed in and floating on the top. I swear I thought the thing was a pitcher until they plopped one down in front of all of us. I was damn happy and quite buzzed by the time I got to the bottom.

Might I recommend to the OP the wide world of hard cider? In terms of alcohol content, your typical cider is easily on par with a standard lager, and is sweet enough that one accustomed to sugared drinks could pound them down easily without wretching. Hornsby’s is the only major U.S. national brand that i’m aware of, but any decent supermarket or beer store will have several British brands (I enjoy Strongbow particularly), and there’s an increasing number of microbrew ciders available.

Gallo is another brand that may or may not be available in the OP’s area if they want to try a decent Mexican beer; it’s common and relatively light and pretty tasty for a session beer. (“Session beer” refers to any beer that one could easily have four to six of at a time, are lighter, less filling, lower alcohol gravity, etc. Guinness, Old Rasputin, Weyebacher Quad would be the opposite of a session beer, IMO.)

Ciders are definitely a good way to go. Woodchuck makes a variety of pear ciders, which are all good so far. Their “Summer Cider” is in season at the moment, and it’s light, fruity, a little fizzy, and a lot like alcoholic juice-- it’s the Manischewitz of the cider world. If you remember it or can still find a bottle or two, their “Spring Cider” has a strong maple syrup component to its flavor-- not the pancake syrup variety, but the pricier authentic “boiled down from maple sap” flavor. Their standard is pretty good, and an average sample of what a pear cider tastes like-- there’s little difference between it and Ace Pear Cider. Magner’s is also good, as is Strongbow. Look to see if you can find a large purveyor of alcohol in your area that specializes in beer, beer-like substances, and craft brews-- ask the folks who work there or are the distributor, as they can answer a LOT of questions for you and make the search easier.

My husband hates coffee and loves Guinness, Old Rasputin, Southern Tier’s Moka Stout, et al. A lot of stouts have a “coffee” aroma-type flavor, but most of it has to do with the dark roast malt that is used when brewing. It’s going to be less hoppy-bitter and more malty-bitter. Stouts are generally a “work your way up the beer ladder” item, but it’s definitely worth trying different beers including stout until you find your good matches.

Personally, I rarely have good luck with blueberry beers (they taste great for the first half of the glass, then taste weird/bad for the second), but raspberry and citrus beers hit the sweet spot for me-- especially citrus hefeweizen and raspberry porter.

Gah, thread exploded! Sorry!

In hindsight, I should have done this in reverse. Our liquor stores have a website where you can see all the products offered for sale in store. I did a quick browse through the beer section but only came up with:
EPHEMERE APPLE - UNIBROUE
FRULI STRAWBERRY BEER (BELGIUM)

Thanks for the recs though, everyone. On my next twice-a-year pub visit I’ll check into ciders!

So maybe I’ll have to see those.

Ephemere is great. I gave it to some beer newbs and they loved it. It’s fairly dry and a bit cider-like. If you like dry champagne you’ll love it.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Fruity beers are going to tend to be incorporated into lighter beers.
  2. Lighter beers tend to be more bitter than darker beers.

If you’ve kept to the lighter side of the spectrum, you’ve taken most of the creamier, smoother beers completely off your menu.

This is a good point and something that I forgot to mention in my first post. Most new beer drinkers intuitively go to lighter beers because they think they will be less bitter, when the reality is that darker beers (particularly porters and stouts) are probably easier to start with because they are much smoother to drink with less of that bitter sharp edge.

Mexican beers are the exception to this as are Asian beers, but it’s really easy to just get crap in those categories too.

Also, with that, if the label includes the word ‘pale’ it has nothing to do with the taste. If you don’t like bitter, stay far far away from anything along the lines of a pale ale, india pale ale or extra pale ale.
But NAF is right, intuitively, it’s hard for a new beer drinker to go for a dark beer since they assume a dark beer is a strong beer, but it’s not. At least it’s not strong in the sense that it has a strong beer taste compared to everything they’ve been trying.
Someone that’s not into beer sees a Guinness and thinks it must be awful, or at least only for ‘hardcore’ beer drinkers. But really, it’s a pretty light, easy to drink, non-bitter beer. Same goes for a New Castle or Shiner Bock. And those are just the intros to Stouts, Browns and Bocks there’s a whole world of them out there that are heavier, maltier, smoother etc.

Best fruity beer I’ve ever had was a dunkelweiss with chocolatey tones followed by a distinct banana flavor brewed at Rock Bottom in Cincinnati. Alas, I have never found a bottled beer that has mimicked that experience, but I’ve grown to appreciate dunkels as a result (although I generally drink American ambers).

I highly recommend going to a local brewery and sampling a variety of beers. Once you find a few you like, check out beeradvocate.com to learn about different styles and find beers that match the taste profiles you enjoy.

Sampling is the very best way to discover delicious beers.

Leinenkugel used to make a berry weiss that was pretty tasty and very fruity. They say it’s now a year-round brew (I think it used to be seasonal). Perhaps you can find it in your area.

Assuming you are a man, I’d say you’ve lost all points even asking for a fruity beer.

A Dos Equis (or similar swill) with a squirt of lemon or lime is one thing, but if you want fruity alcohol, order a wine cooler instead (or a Mike’s hard lemonade). I’d have more respect for you in a bar-type situation.

There is nothing wrong with lambics, and there are quite a few flavored beers that aren’t horrible. Apricot and blueberry mostly in my experience, but pumpkin ales are nice too when the weather is right. The trick with those is finding the ones that aren’t bad is not always easy, but good beer is good beer. I would take one of those over a wine cooler or hard lemonade any day.

:rolleyes: Some the heaviest, strongest, and most complex beers are fruity and sweet. Of course if you measure your balls by how bitter you like your beer, I’m sure I can find some crazy bitter, piss weak stuff for you. :wink:

I was in NOLA last month and got hooked on Abita’s Purple Haze. In New Orleans, it is a local “cheap” beer. Just found a case of it in PA, and paid a premium price. So, watch what you get hooked on!:smiley:

Yes, if you can find it, Leinenkugel’s Berry Weiss and also the Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier are excellent choices if you want a fruity taste. I can also recommend Summer Shandy if you want a lemon taste.

Guinness, for me, is very nonsweet and tastes noticeably metallic.

Although it may not really be “fruity”, British ales like Bass and Newcastle seem sweeter than American lager fare.

One caveat: take a sip of Gueuze lambic expecting “sweet and fruity” and your face may contort into unfamiliar configurations.