That has left me with Marzetti’s Fat Free Italian as the dressing of choice for years.
Now, Marzetti claims still to be selling Fat Free Italian when I sent them a pathetic email, but it’s no longer available in local stores.
Regular Italian dressings are too oily, Ranch and similar dressings are too thick and gloopy, and fat free versions of thin dressings are sweet as sugar.
Is there hope? Any ideas for a way to dress my salads?
Expanding on WhyNot’s excellent suggestions, you could mix a bit of your favorite mustard with your choice of vinegar (white or red wine, balsamic, apple cider, etc.) with salt and pepper. Or use crumbled blue cheese or grated parmesan with the vinegar, salt & pepper. Also try experimenting with other herbs, such as dried marjoram, thyme or crushed mint.
rice vinegar
grated ginger
grated garlic
dash of chili pepper
tamari
honey
find the balance of sweet/hot/sour/salt that works for you. add a little oil if you like–a clear oil, like canola; or a drop or three of sesame oil for more asiany goodness.
aslso, I like fig vinegar with a little sprinkled sea salt on fresh veggies.
[QUOTE=silenus]
I really like the dressings offered by Walden Farms. Just about anything you could ask for, and no sugar, no calories, no nothing but flavor.
[/QUOTE]
They sound good! The creamy bacon sounds good, did you ever try it?
[QUOTE=MissRancher]
I use 3 parts Colvita Balsamic Vinegar (tried them all and that’s my favorite by far), 1 part olive oil, and a spoonful of Dijon mustard.
[/QUOTE]
I just use plain vinegar on my salads, no oil. I get a good balsalmic (I’m partial to WholeFoods aged version) and don’t need any oil. I do, however, usually eat spinach salads and add a little crumbled gorgonzola or feta. I find just vinegar on a plain salad a little too spartan even for my tastes.