Henry Blake's plane was shot down over the Sea Of Japan

This famous event in the TV Series MAS*H… how likely was it?

I will preface this by saying I am not a war or Korean War expert in any way. So feel free to correct me if necessary!

However, based on what I know, it would seem pretty much impossible for this to happen in the way the actual Korean War was fought.

I am presuming there were no navigation errors on the flight leading the flight over North Korean airspace. Navigation errors were certainly possible in that day and age, but I don’t believe the writers intended Blake’s death for that sort of irony. So we’ll assume all went well there.

Henry Blake left the MAS*H in a chopper (seems more likely he’d have left by Jeep, but whatever), presumably for Seoul. Then a flight from there to Tokyo. The normal flight path from Seoul to Tokyo does indeed go over the Sea of Japan. However, by the time the Sea Of Japan is actually reached, it’s about 50 miles from the current North Korean border, and it only gets further away after that.

First, if that route was any danger, why go over the Sea of Japan? A longer, southeastern route could be taken that doesn’t go over the sea at all, but over the Strait of Korea. Yes, it’s longer, but if Blake’s plane can be shot down, MacArthur’s plane can be shot down. I think the Army would do everything to avoid a risk with a plane that isn’t mission critical, is just moving personnel out.

Second, everything I’ve read indicates that the area of the Sea of Japan Blake’s plane would have been over was on complete lockdown by UN forces. I read through the log of all US ships damaged in the Korea War, and they were 100% from mines in North Korean harbors, or from North Korean shore batteries. Apparently North Korean forces had zero ability to go out and do anything at sea. So any air forces are venturing out, 50 miles into enemy waters, completely without cover.

Third, why? What are you attacking? Surface to air missiles were a few years away. From my reading, seems like it was conventional shelling/shore batteries (about 5 to 10 miles on that, nowhere near Blake’s plane) or it’s a conventional bombing/fighter run. But what are you seeking if Blake’s plane is what you find? You have a choice in deploying your air forces. Over land, where you have a lot better support, actual relevant targets you can hit. Or over sea, where you have no support whatsoever. And what targets are you seeking? If Blake’s plane is what you find, seems like you’re on a fishing expedition.

Fourth, Blake’s plane may have been an Army plane, but it wasn’t a combat plane. Even if you accept the trillion to one possibility that a North Korean fighter actually gets 50+ miles over sea into UN airspace, the plane you’re shooting down isn’t engaged in combat. You may be violating rules of engagement and starting battles you can’t finish. I know this stuff goes on anyway, but it doesn’t seem too smart.

Fifth, Blake could have easily been written to die at or near the unit. I know the writers were going for a more ironic ending. The irony is that when the show did have incidents where there was shelling or actual dangers of being shot at the camp, the show typically played them for laughs or pacifism. Probably to counteract the more gung-ho characters like Frank Burns and Colonel Flagg. But they were only three miles from the front, sure, I can buy anyone dying there from some stray action. Miles and miles away from the action, over the Sea of Japan? Not buying that anymore.

But maybe I’m all wrong. Thoughts?

There was a considerable air battle over Korea. Russian MIGS painted in China’s colors fought US air craft. The MIGS were masquerading as Chinese, but Russian was heard on the radios during dog fights.

The Russian pilots were very, very good.

if I remember correctly wasn’t certain parts of Korean airspace known as "MIG alley? "

Certain pilots have a fondness for the air war in korea as it was the last call for propeller based dog fighting… my great uncle hated jets and missiles to him they were dishonorable … he was a ww1 and 2 vet …

Mig Alley was on the other side of the country. See here:

I wasn’t able to dig up any cites of passenger or cargo planes being shot down over the Sea of Japan. There were reconnaissance planes shot down over the Sea of Japan, but they were operating up closer to the Chinese border. Unless there was some seriously wrong navigation involved, Blake’s plane shouldn’t have been anywhere near there (as the OP noted).

It’s not completely impossible for a MiG to have downed Henry Blake’s plane, but it’s not very likely. I can picture a MiG going after what it thinks is another reconnaissance plane, but if it’s that far from China, the MiG would have almost certainly been picked up by one of the Radar stations in the area, and an F-86 or two would have certainly been dispatched to take care of it long before it reached Blake’s plane.

Still, it’s possible. Maybe the MiG strayed from where it was supposed to be. Maybe the Radar station that should have spotted the MiG had some sort of malfunction with their Radar on that day. It would require several things to be a bit out of the ordinary, but it’s not completely impossible.

It also wouldn’t be the first time that MAS*H goofed something. Spearchucker Jones (there’s a racist name if I ever heard one) was dropped from the show after the first season once the producers found out that there had never been a black surgeon assigned to any MASH units during the Korean war (they also needed to cut the budget and his character wasn’t deemed important enough to keep).

But hey, you can’t expect too much factual correctness from a show that had Margaret Houlihan’s father show up in a later episode after it was stated in an earlier episode that he was deceased, Hawkeye had a sister who sent him a sweater and then ceased to exist in later shows, and Major Milton Freidman changed his name to Major Sidney Freidman, as well as having plenty of other mistakes that I don’t recall off the top of my head. :slight_smile:

Looking upthe list of Korean War losses (both personnel and aircraft), you see transport aircraft being shot down.

I can easily imagine a navigation error caused by inclement weather sending them into the fighters of the VVS or the AAA of the KPA.

I can accept that Henry was shot down over the Sea of Japan.

But Hawkeye’s hairstyle…don’t get me started!

Early 1950s military cut
mmm

Drafted doctor and not a “full” officer. What are they going to do, fire him? :wink:

IIRC McClean Stevenson wanted too much money so they wanted to send a message to the other actors. By having his plane shot down over water there was no way that the character could have survived. If he was shot down over land he could have parachuted out or if they had crashed over water there was a possibility of survival.

I thought he left for a new show where he would be starring instead of a supporting actor. I don’t think it was about money in the case. But it was a golden opportunity to dramatically kill off a major character in a show about a war. I think it was a dramatic choice and not a Dollar$ issue. Now Trapper John’s departure I think was about money and being regulated to chief sidekick when originally Trapper & Hawkeye were suppose to be a duo of lead actors.

Could have been a “friendly fire” shoot down.

I thought Blake’s death was totally unnecessary and was written purely for pathos. But MASH was already veering, under Alda’a influence, into soap opera territory by then.

Fire? No, Court Marshall and Stockade

They were perpetually short of good doctors. He probably got stuck at the MASH unit for being a shitty officer. Quite tougher than a Hospital in the rear.

Racist? It was clearly stated that he threw javelin in college. Added bonus that it made the audience uncomfortable. BTW he was only in 6 episodes.

Or just army barber and hair clippers.

Like much about that show, it isn’t really grounded in fact. In reality both sides had a tacit agreement not to widen the war. The UN Forces wouldn’t bomb the Chinese airbases and the Communists wouldn’t even attempt to interdict the airborne and seaborne traffic between Korea and the main supply bases in Japan. The MiGs were highly restricted in how far south they could fly, they didn’t want to take a chance that one might crash on UN-held territory or try to defect (some highly-publicised offers were put out to tempt people)

The point is, no man wore his hair that long in 1951.

No man.

No, man.
mmm

You have a surgeon character that has a still in his tent (moved from old camp to new camp location) who regularly steals jeeps for hot dates. A corporal that appears in dresses. Plus all the other stuff that goes on, and the haircut is your deal breaker?

It was a comedy. Liberties were taken.

Spearchucker Jones (and the origin of his name) was a character in the original novel as well as the movie. It’s not like he was invented for the series.

Did the book specifically mention his race?