Heroes TV show is it just me??

I think it’s a good show and watched it a few times but always wondered why they have so much closed captioning? If I wanted to read a book I would.

Another thing that I always wondered, aren’t they losing 20-30% of the public because they don’t or cant read?

I can read and sometimes just get tired and behind in the reading.

Is it just me or have others wondered this also?

And I never go to a movie that has closed captioning, I’ll read the book instead.

Can’t they just have Chinese people that speak english?

They’re Japanese. And they’re from Japan (not Japanese Americans, for example) so would not speak English amongst themselves. I think it’s past time that kind of “realism” was applied to cultural representation.

I think you’d generally call this “subtitling”, rather than “closed captioning”.

The GQ answer is yes, they could have the foreigners speak in English.

From a creative standpoint, there are various merits to the different options.

Personally, I like what Heroes has done because the subtitles are bigger and placed in parts of the screen that make them easier to read.

There are some shows or movies that I’ll avoid because my eyes are too tired to spend an hour or two reading subtitles, especially when so many of them insist on using tiny yellow text on a scene full of desert sand, or tiny white letters against a sparkling white hospital background.

Do you mean foreign films with english subtitles? Why would you assume there’s a book for every foreign film? :confused:

I find it very annoying. I rarely have the luxury of being able to sit down all evening to watch TV — I’m usually multi-tasking. I can work in the kitchen and listen to the TV in the next room and enjoy the show ---- except for shows like Heroes, where I miss scenes because I can’t drop what I’m doing to go into the next room and read the subtitles.

I don’t think they have Chinese people. They have Japanese people, I believe.

Yikes, mistaking Japanese people for Chinese and wanting them to speak English! They’re all the same, right?

Might as well miss 'em out altogether, eh?

In the case of Heroes in particular, I think it works very well; it also allows the writers to create humor from Hiro’s growing command of the English language, especially in the first couple of seasons or so. You couldn’t really do that if you had Hiro and Ando speaking English to each other, then suddenly have Hiro forget how when talking to an English-speaking person.

It’s okay. “Heroes” is impossible to follow even if you’re sitting there taking notes.

If you have normal reading ability, reading the subtitles should take no effort at all after a while. Every foreign-language TV program gets translated subtitles in many countries and people are able to follow them just fine. I have to say that if using some subtitles turns away 20% of your viewers in a country with supposed 99% adult literacy rate, it’s not your program that’s the problem.

I think you need to go back to radio shows :wink: I think it speaks to the quality of a show when you have to pay it close attention. I do have some shows that I watch for multitasking friendliness tho, for when I’m web surfing or doing chores. Where I get into trouble is not with subtitles, but with dialogue free scenes where plot revolves around the behavior or actions of the characters and not what they say.

I personally like the subtitles on Heroes, it gives the show verisimilitude, and it’s not like Hiro and Ando are in Japan in many scenes. What’s really funny are the films Inglorious Basterds, which Tarantino fans probably didn’t realize would be 80% subtitles and Pan’s Labrynth, which parents probably didn’t realize was not only entirely subtitled but also not a kids movie.