"He's not one of us" - McCain/Palin are playing the race card

It wasn’t until today that I finally got clear on what the McCain/Palin plan to win the Presidency is. A co-worker in an argument with another about who to vote for asked; “Why would you want to vote for a terrorist and a man who is not even one of us?” I thought about it for a moment, then got off my seat, walked over and asked him;

If he’s not one of us, then he must be one of them, so who is the “them” you’re talking about?

I’d heard those words before. Many times. Yup, I heard Sarah Palin repeat just those words often during many of her televised campaign stops in front of cheering crowd.

He’s not one of us,” he’s not like us" repeated often is a subliminal message that resides somewhere in memory. It’s designed to separate and ostracize. It’s diabolical.

He’s not like us,” and “this is not a man who sees America as you and I do - as the greatest force for good in the world… WE see an America of exceptionalism…” leaving it out there that Barack Obama sees a bad or perhaps evil America because he’s not “one of us.”

There is a cultural wedge being driven into the American electorate by Sarah Palin and John McCain, and it is being driven in firmly with malice and forethought. This is a win at any cost strategy. By hook or crook.

Many ran with the Bill Ayers story because it was more controversial and perhaps sexy for the press, but methinks they missed the political sleight of hands in Governor Palin’s earlier words.

Conservative columnist - Scott St. Clair - writes;
"Us" are who this country is supposed to be about: ordinary Americans who work hard, love and willingly sacrifice for their families and country, and struggle with challenges all the while not asking government to be their nanny, but, rather, to secure for them the blessings of liberty so that they are free to enjoy the rewards of their hard work, the love and fellowship of their families and countrymen, and to live their lives as they see fit.

So, I say to Sarah “Barracuda” Palin and John “McNasty” McCain; Barack Hussein Obama is ONE OF US, just like every Black, Latino, Chinese, Japanese, Briton, Irish, German, Israeli, Ethiopian, Kenyan, Russian, Liberian, Jamaican, Nigerian, Rwandan etc, who calls America the beautiful - HOME - either through immigration, birthright as sons and daughters of former slaves, or descendants of the Mayflower arrivals. “Us” are Americans united by our desire to be free to love, serve and worship, as we deem fit.

It is my belief though that these subliminal messages will not work as well as designed because more Americans now see Blacks as part of the “Us” that the Revd. Dr. Martin Luther King had a dream about many years ago.

Make no mistake about it, the race, bigotry and prejudice card is being played daily on the campaign trail by Sarah Palin and John McCain, and they know just what they’re doing. Their October Surprise is their hope that their subliminal message will bear fruit just before the voter pulls the lever.

I’m confused, are you saying McCain and Palin themselves are making these statements, or just some of their supporters?

Palin made this statement in her most recent speech discussing how Obama “Pals around with terrorists.”

You’re really reaching to call that “playing the race card.” I’m sure McCain/Palin would have said “she’s not one of us” if Hillary got the nom (or would that be sexism somehow IYHO?).

I really think it means ‘he’s not really American, he doesn’t share our values’ more than it means ‘he’s black’. Pointing out his race isn’t really necessary for anyone who cares about it, they’re pointing out his unAmericanness.

That’s an excellent point. Why do people think Palin/McCain even **could **play the race card? If there’s one thing everyone knows about Obama it’s that he’s black.

The race card in this context would be an effort to make white voters feel a black guy is just different from them in some ineffable way and can’t be trusted. There are certainly white voters who feel that way about him.
But I agree with what you said: there’s nothing necessarily racist about this stuff. I think it’s more related to the idea that he’s liberal and elitist and so on. The fact that he’s black and has a foreign-sounding name plays into it, but it doesn’t have to be the intent.

McCain and Palin have both been making those statements as part of their stump speeches on their campaign stops.

I believe it is a planned strategy.

Winning the Message War: The Real Fight He Faces by Tom Rosshirt

We wouldn’t know Sarah Palin’s name if Hillary had gotten the nom :slight_smile:

Your article is self-indicting as an extremely left-wing biased source:

Funny, this is the first I’ve heard of this. At any rate, I think that what Marley23 said is right on target.

Ooh, yeah! :slight_smile:

The bolded part is the plain truth and you don’t need to be “left-wing biased” to see it. It’s not the whole truth about the Republican Party and its mission, but it’s undeniably true. The Dems ain’t much better, of course – the only difference is the Dems aren’t a wholly-owned subsidiary of the corporations.

Who is “us”? If Obama is considered as part of the American public, then of course he’s one of us, by definition. What they mean by ‘us’ is whitefolks. Rich whitefolks. Or poor white folks who want to be rich someday, but never will. Or Black folks who want to be white. Also Christian. Rich, white Christians. That’s who “us” is in their special code, and that’s why “He’s not one of us” is not-very-heavily veiled racist talk.

Edwards’ “Two Americas”… no problem.

Republicans’ “not one of us” … oooooh race card, race card!

Would you mind explaining the similarities between those two ideas?

If “doesn’t share our values” **is **what they mean, then I’m not “one of us” either, and neither are approximately 50(+/-1)% of Americans, based on the outcome of the last two elections.

They both involve a number greater than one. Duh.

-Joe

I absolutely see those statements as a veiled way of appealing to the racists.

They can’t actually say “hot damn, we gotta bunch of back woods rednecks that are as racist as the day is long and they might just be the little extra we need to win.”

I can’t think of anyone more fundamentally represents the absolute hope inherent in America than Barack Obama.

Or, as my friend told her son (age 22), when he said he wouldn’t vote for Obama because he is a black guy named Hussein, “You are a white American male with a pathologically normal name and your ass is unemployed and living on your momma’s couch.”