Hey Dopers! Where should I move?

San Francisco Bay Area. Surfing, skiing, climbing, culture, forests, deserts, food and weirdos all within four hours drive. Rather expensive to live in the nice parts.

Based upon the OPs criteria and process of elimination, you are correct.

I was going to pop in and suggest Chapel Hill, but it’s going to have pretty similar weather. Is Atlanta that much better, climate-wise? It’s further south but IIRC it’s at a higher elevation.

And there’s Asheville NC as well - also left-leaning. Haven’t spent much time there, but I’ve lived both in Charlotte and Chapel Hill. CH won’t have the same concentration of stuff to do that a big city might, but it’s got a lot of nice little bars with live music, a decent variety of food etc. Sigh… wish I could move back.

You get all this within 90 minutes from Southern California. Why does it have to be left leaning? Do you have trouble interacting with those who think differently from yourself?

San Francisco is 60° year round. Smallish city, and once you learn the streets it’s fairly easy to get in / out / through / around. Close to the ocean, forests, great skiing n the Sierra Nevada, and Yosemite Nat’l Park is a few hours’ drive.

It’s not as humid as Houston, but gets a few degrees hotter in the summer. Visitors from Cool California were fainting in the heat during a May visit to Austin. If “too hot” is part of your vocabulary, cross Texas off your list.

All our cities are more liberal than the surrounding countryside (or far suburbia)–even the ones not as cute as Austin. And Austin traffic is horrid, because of the city’s rapid growth.

Interacting with? Not usually a major problem. And if you’ve decided on a state, it doesn’t matter so much where you live when it comes to state politics-- but when it comes to local politics, it can be quite disheartening to live in an area where pretty much every vote on every issue will go the opposite of the way you want it to.

Atlanta is very good for traffic. As long as you know where not to go and when. You can get from anywhere to anywhere on secondary and tertiary streets.

Austin was my second choice when I considered this very question back when I got out of the Army. One of my criteria was also lowest chance of natural disasters.

Two blocks from my home. I can stagger home and cross the street at a light with pedestrian signals.:smiley: