Hey Pi AI!

I don’t think anybody’s posted about this one yet.

https://heypi.com/talk

This one is free to use, is even more oriented toward chat than ChatGPT. It’s more personable, claims to have no guardrails or other restrictions, but it’s not as smart at ChatGPT 3.5, and it lies and hallucinates even more. It definitely does have guardrails, but it’s more similar to Bing whenever you approach any of them. Do try out its Text to Speech mode, this is the best free TTS I’ve ever heard.

I tested its storytelling capabilities, definitely not much there, but I was amused at one point when I suggested making the story a BtVS crossover, and it said this:

Ooooh! That could be really fun, to have Buffy or some other character from that show make a cameo appearance! As long as we don’t spend the whole story worshipping at the altar of Whedon.

What do you mean, Discourse, 9 characters is too few for a subject?

This is actually the first AI chat I’ve used and it was fairly impressive. I asked it about best PC strategy games, it recommended Civ 6 and several others, it even asked me if I preferred turn-based or real time, which is a good question. I then asked about the best Civ 6 mods and it listed 5 or 6. I asked how to install mods and it gave a good answer; use Steam workshop if you can and it also gave the path to manually install mod files. I then asked it for an oil pressure sender part number for a 1995 F-150 and it said it unfortunately could not answer that because it didn’t have part databases. That’s reasonable. I asked it who wrote the program and it replied with an organization name in Palo Alto, CA and a little about it. It then asked me to sign up and I stopped there, but I’m sure I could get in with another browser/device.

These things are not actual intelligence but they are good at parsing natural language queries, looking up information, and responding in natural language. Pretty impressive.