Hi Cecil

Hi I’m a 13 year old boy from Australia and i came across this site from a link after reading some forums about why there is always one shoe on the side of the road and others, i can already say that this site is a good one. I look forward to reading more as they come in. Leigh Stewart,Lismore, Australia

Welcome to the SDMD, Leigh. Glad you’re enjoying the site.

A link to the column is appreciated. Providing one can be as simple as pasting the URL into your post, making sure to leave a blank space on either side of it. Like so:http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_124b.html

Apparently, a blank space isn’t all that gosh-darn important after all.

And while bibliophage welcomes you to the SDMD, I will welcome you to the SDMB, so now you’re welcome both places.

Cecil, the Great God Hisownself, rarely hangs out here in the Dungeons, I mean the Forums, so you may just have to settle for the likes of us. Hope you’re not disappointed.

Anyone seen my other shoe? It was here just a minute ago…

Hi Leigh!

Everybody around here calls me Bosda.
You can call me “Your Worship”.
Or, if you prefer, “Bubba”.
The two titles are really interchangeable, you know.

I just posted that way to see if anybody was paying attention. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Hi Leigh!

I’m Mr Bus Guy. I’m easier to please than Bosda. so it doesn’t matter what you call me.

Wanna help me make some money? I got Musicat’s other shoe here, and I think it’s worth something…

I Google Earth’ed Lismore. Looks to be a nice place. Lot’s of straight streets and such - good for piloting big buses.

Hey Leigh.

Ruby here. Damn glad to meetcha and welcome to the boards. (Translation: g’day mate!) We have a few Aussies here so I’m sure you’ll feel right at home.

There are some heathens here who think that Cecil Adams is as real as Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. Don’t believe a word of it, my son. Cecil (that would be MR. Adams to you) just doesn’t have time for us peons at the SDMB.

Enjoy your stay!

It surprises me that Cecil misses the obvious explanation for the abandoned single shoe phenomenon. Without a shadow of doubt, this is down to a one-legged hobo, who wanders from shore to shining shore, always discarding the shoe he doesn’t need when acquiring another pair.

What’s that you say? The shoes found are sometimes a left one and sometimes a right?

My response is as swift as it is certain.

Two one-legged hoboes.

Hi Leigh!

In case you haven’t found it already, there’s a great big list of Cecil’s past columns at http://www.straightdope.com/columns/.

Have fun!

Okay, but how do you explain that there’s both men’s and women’s shoes, in a variety of sizes?

Beggars can’t be choosers.

:wink:
Welcome to the Boards, :Leigh:. Don’t let yourself get scared off reading some of these threads. We can be kind of loud, but we’re harmless :smiley:

Y’know- It never ceases to amaze me how really nice SDMB folks can be. Making an effort to make a, clearly friendly, young man feel welcome.
That’s really cool, in my book. :cool:
Hi Leigh!

Welcome, Leigh! Make yourself at home.

You might be interested to know that there’s also an unofficial, member-operated board where SDMB folk from your part of the world get together: http://pub31.ezboard.com/bgdope

That’s because we reserve the goats for paying members. The guests have it good.
Welcome, Leigh.

Man, I feel a bit hosed. I’m a guest, and no one said welcome to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, :Leigh: , enjoy your stay. These folks are great.

I asked a simple question about Akron, Ohio over in IMHO, and I’ve had at least three people offer to answer direct questions through emails, and one offer to show me around town if it doesn’t conflict with his schedule. Not to mention some great information about a town that I have never seen and they have lived in or currently live in.

These are indeed some good people. (either that, or they are just sucking up to get me to join. And then, I’ll get the **member ** treatment).

{Both}

Jim (Welcome to the Board **kurahee & :Leigh:. ** Enjoy the stay, look around, kick the tires and don’t let the pit put you off :wink: )

Welcome to both kurahee & :Leigh: Enjoy the Boards.

Goats… 'scuse me?? (goats can’t be good) Oh, boy, just look at the time…
(pitter, patter, pitter, patter, door slams…)

kurahee…BOW DOWN TO ME, AND DO MY EVIL BIDDING!
BWA-HA-HA-HAHA-Haaaa!

Oh, and welcome to the SDMB.