High-hyped movies that made you go "Meh"

I found Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to be tedious beyond belief, but I already had a low tolerance for pretentious eastern mysticism.

And Lord of the Rings was sufficiently dull that I’ve never bothered checking out the two sequels.

Hard to say if I’d have enjoyed getting to where Ripley goes Rambo on the monster, which I’ve heard is magnificent. By the time monster baby blew through the wretched retching guy’s gut, I was just too fed up to waste any more time on the movie.

It could be that I’ve lost susceptibility to the world of movie magic in general, through having entered it rarely in the last couple of decades. I saw Time Bandits in the theater way back in 1981, when I still went to see films more or less regularly, and loved it. Recently I Netflixed it and was… disappointed. Still a neat film, but it just didn’t grab me the way it had on first viewing. Perhaps it’s my altered sensibilities at fault here, rather than the movie’s merits.

Hmmmmm… Maybe I should Netflix some other movies I enjoyed in the theater and see how they come across to me now. Like, oh, maybe My Dinner With Andre – that should translate well to the small screen, thus eliminating one factor. Or maybe Woody Allen’s Sleeper.

All three Spiderman movies. Ugh, terrible.

Raging Bull and the Godfather bored me to tears.

People, people! Have you forgotten the overrated pile of mediocrity known as Ghost?

One that hasn’t been mentioned yet is Casablanca, which I guess I enjoyed, but certainly would not have identified as a top candidate for Greatest Film Ever.

(Perhaps the inverse thread would be more interesting… one of the few super-duper-hyped-on-everyone’s-list movies that really lived up to its billing for me (in fact, maybe the only one) is The Godfather.) (Talking only about “great” movies of the past that I had not seen but whose reputation I was aware of.)

What now, o little sister? Surely I hast heard thee wrong, devotchka!

I thought Shrek was overrated. Shrek and his pals are memorable characters, no doubt, and there are a lot of funny bits (especially the “ogres are like onions” scene, which reminds me a lot of the classic “Who’s on First”), but the film was just missing something. I enjoyed the second one much more, although it still had a little something missing. (I haven’t seen the third yet.)

This far in and nobody’s mentioned Titanic? Horrible, horrible movie. And also Armageddon.

Ripley doesn’t go Rambo in Alien.

Which you’d have known if you’d stuck it out.

The Nostromo’s crew were essentially space truckers, not the perfect, clean, super intelligent Academy graduates of Star Trek. They were in it for the cash, and didn’t really give a shit about “signals of an extraterrestrial origin,” except for a law which says they had to investigate, or forfeit all pay for the run they were on.

Which you may have known if you’d paid attention.

The whole set-up was concocted by The Company (Weyland-Yutani, a mega conglomerate) to get the Alien organism on-the-cheap; a crew of dumb-ass space truckers are probably a lot cheaper, and more easily replaced, than a full-blown Xeno-contact team. “Crew expendable.”

Which is why Ash, later to be revealed as an android programmed by the company, opened the airlock door and let the infected Kane back on board; to get the crew infected by the Alien and to safeguard the organism from the crew’s attempt to defend themselves.

Which you’d have known if you’d have, you know, actually watched the damned movie.

It’s one thing to actually watch amovie all the way through, and then say, “Eh. Didn’t much like it.”

It’s even cool to duck a movie entirely based upon previews and word-of-mouth, with the “I don’t think it’s my kind of thing” excuse.

But to then turn around and trash-talk it, after not having seen it, or not having seen it all the way through?

That’s chickenshit.

Lost in Translation. This movie got such good reviews, but to me, it was boring, uncomfortable and embarrassing.

I have now seen **Blade Runner ** twice and I still cannot remember a single scene from the movie.

The Sixth Sense

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Caddyshack

Bladerunner

Babel was hyped but I found it horrible, boring…

I also found 2001 to be incredibly over-hyped. Maybe because I stopped doing drugs before I saw it.

All the hyped animated movies are overrated in my opinion. But that’s probably just because they’re mostly aimed at kids, and even with a few adult-level jokes thrown in here and there for the parents, a kids’ movie just doesn’t do it for me.

Brad Bird is the only guy making animated movies that can hold my interest. The Iron Giant and The Incredibles were both impressive, and unlike the other animated films, they don’t condescend to the audience. (Haven’t seen Ratatouille.)

Nonsense. I’d seen enough to assess whether the rest would appeal to me, came to the conclusion that it would not, and chose to put my time to other uses. I don’t have to eat an entire meal to know whether I like the taste of it.

Deer Hunter.

Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. Not bad flicks, mind you, but “meh”. On the flip side, I like Gangs of New York moreso than most others.

Non-Scorcese, I couldn’t stand Hero (though I did like Crouching Tiger).

Yeah, that got a big “meh” from me, too.

Shindler’s List (McHolocaust)
Saving Private Ryan (starring McActor Tom Hanks)
Anything with Tom Hanks, really.

The first one that comes to mind is Moulin Rouge. I fell asleep in the theatre, and then we rented it to watch it at home, and both my husband and myself fell asleep.

I like most of Kubrick’s movies except Eyes Wide Shut. I found it to be the movie of an old impotent man. Sad to go out on such a note.