High LSAT score

The main factors influencing a person’s admission to law school in the U.S. are his LSAT score (and how that score ranks him among others who took the LSAT), and his undergarduate grade point average (GPA). Putting aside the GPA factor momentarily, what can a person who scores in the 90th percentile (i.e., higher than 90% of those who took the LSAT) expect as to law schools approaching him, and grants and scholarships?

IIRC, law schools don’t recruit, so there will probably be no “approaching.” An LSAT score in the 95th perecentile or above will do great things for you, provided you have the grades and extracurriculars to back it up.

Then again, if this hypothetical guy is a white guy, he’d better be God as well. Because plenty of schools make no bones about their aggressive policy of admitting fewer white males (CU Boulder for example).

Loans and grants will vary from school to school. Loans are usually required, as ABA-accredited law schools will not allow 1st years to work, and some schools discourage law students working at all. It’s a smart policy, because most people need everything they have to get through it.

Years ago (I’m feeling old), it wasn’t like undergrad where a high ACT/SAT score meant you could sit back and schools would come to you and throw money. It just made it easier to get admitted, and still, you couldn’t put aside the GPA factor. (Then, most schools published their “formula” based on GPA/LSAT for determining who was and was not likely to get admitted.)

It might help when you go apply for scholarships, but you’re still going to have to go looking.

Nitpick. Many of my classmates and I got buried under mounds of letters from law schools after taking the LSAT. The school I’m at now solicited me.