[QUOTE=chowder]
WhyNot Didn’t realise that you had to pay for your tickets, I assumed it was free.
It seems to me that it’s a bit discriminatory in that you have to be asked, I mean there must be some girls/boys that are either unpopular or maybe don’t measure up to the beautiful/handsome sterotype.
[/quote]
Unlike some other respondents, at our school back then you HAD to have a date to get in - tickets were sold as “admit two”, and you would not be allowed to walk through the door without a date.
I suspect that the gay dates probably changed that - the school would rather Jim and James buy two individual tickets than acknowledge them as “dates”. When I was in school, no one was out as gay, even though we all KNEW of at least half a dozen guys who were. It was still denied and the guys we thought were gay had girlfriends and denials. That started to change after I graduated.
[QUOTE=Lynn Bodoni]
In some areas, the kids rent a hotel room for after-prom activities, and these activities generally consist of a lot of drinking and sex, sometimes drugs as well.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you’ve heard me talk about my son, right? Prom baby. (Despite several forms of birth control, I hasten to add!)
[QUOTE=mittu]
Another American tradition that didn’t (as far as I am aware) ever really catch on in England is the Yearbook, from what I understand everyone has their picture taken and underneath the picture there is a list of any notable achievements, a quote, or the fact that they were voted “most likely to go to prison”.
[/QUOTE]
Our yearbooks didn’t have the lists by everyone’s names. The pictures are alphabetical and divided by class, with the seniors getting larger pictures than everyone else. There are other sections devoted to each athletic team, academic club, some pages devoted to the band, the choir and the school play, that sort of thing. One end-of-year ritual is to get as many people as you can to sign your yearbook, usually with some inane words about “You are a realy neet persun. Hope you have a grate summer.” Some of your real friends write actual interesting stuff that is sort of neat to go back and read years later, though.
[QUOTE=kellner]
Are you supposed to choose your date from the same school year?
[/QUOTE]
Nope, not when I was in school, anyway. In fact, you got extra popularity points for bringing someone from a different school. (In some strange Darwinian way it showed you were enough of a catch to attract someone who wouldn’t even know anyone or have a good time, but thought you were studly enough to go with anyway.)
When I was a sophomore, I went with a senior to his school’s prom, when I was a junior, with a senior to my school’s prom, and as a senior, I brought a scandalously older man (he was 21) to my own prom. That was the babydaddy.
[QUOTE=Manda JO]
Basically, you can have a more inclusive prom if the people involved in organizing it are committed to that idea.
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely. Mine was, as I said, in 1992 in the whitest white bread suburb imaginable. We were absolutely focused on the 1950’s ideal of things, with drinking and screwing afterwards. I like your ideas better, but really I think I want to build a time machine and be Ludy’s date to the Grad! That sounds so much better than the Prom! 