High School student sues over rank; BTW, she's already in college

According to this article, A Wesleyan freshman is suing her former High School for not making her valedictorian.

Long story short…

Kanet finished her HS in 3 years and went onto to Wesleyan. At the time of leaving, she was ranked 1. She was “told” that her Wesleyan grades would count towards maintaining points for Rank. Fast-forward 1 year. The student ranked 2nd after Kanet, Frazier, complained that a student not actually studying at the school shouldn’t be eligible for ranking and that her points from Wesleyan courses should be null & void. The school committee recently passed a policy stating that for ranking purposes, a student must have attended the school for six semesters including 2 semesters their senior year. Kanet filed a lawsuit seeking to stop the school from naming a valedictorian till “the matter is settled”.

I don’t understand.

If she completed her HS classwork and is enrolled in college, why would she still be eligible for a HS honor?

Hasn’t she graduated?

The story says she is not counted as a student in terms of enrollment. So it seems to me a bit of a stretch that she would be considered a student for valedictory purposes.

Doesn’t the year of one’s class change if they complete school in less - or more - than the standard four years?

I assume that when this girl first entered HS, if she had taken 4 years to complete HS, she would have been a member of the class graduating in 03. Since this girl completed HS last year and is now in college, wouldn’t she be a mamber of the HS class of 02? I wonder how she compared academically to the 02 valedictorian?

Hypothetically, if she had been a very poor student, and had needed to repeat a number of classes and took 5 years to graduate, wouldn’t she have become a member of the 04 class, instead of 03 with her contemporaries?

What is wrong with these almost-valedictorian kids? “Oh wah wahh, I was ranked second instead of first!!! I’LL SUE!”

3 years of higher education, and STILL no one’s told her that you’re not entitled to always come in first.

The guy who lives down the street from me (same age) combined his freshman and sophomore years in high school to graduate in three years. Not only that, but he was named valedictorian - for that year, because that was the year he graduated. Duh.

If she wanted to be valedictorian, shouldn’t she have gotten the honor when she graduated? I don’t see how this happened.

Here in Wisconsin, the class valedictorian automatically receives full tuition for four years to any UW Wisconsin campus. This is a pretty significant award. I’m sure you can see why this might lead to disputes over ranking where students have equal grade point averages. I can imagine some students (or their parents) taking legal action.

My best friend did something similar where her freshman year of college was also her senior year of high school. Since she was a year behind me in high school and we both went to the same college, this was great. As far as I know, she was still considered to have graduated from high school the same year as she originally would have. I have no idea how our old school counted her grades or what her class ranking was, and, quite frankly, I don’t think her class ranking mattered to her. Then again, she has sense and the ability to deal with adversity (not to mention me!).

As for the student in the OP, :rolleyes:
CJ

How on earth has this law not survived legal challenges? There’s a big difference between being valedictorian of a 500-student class and a 50-student class.

For ANY HS in the entire state? Tell me you have read that wrong or maybe this applies to a particular school.
Gee, in my day the kid who desperately had to be valedictorian was doing so in a vain attempt to please the parents who could never be pleased. I still remember her sobbing Junior year when she got a B on an essay. She was terrified that it ment she would’nt be number 1. She knew she had let her parents down by getting one single B. I wonder if she ever pleased her parents.

I was about to say that something similar (full tuition for four years to any public school in the state) applied in Texas as well, but it seems that it only is for the first year. Maybe that’s changed since I was in high school. In any case, it is a state-funded incentive to be valedictorian.

Here in Georgia we give first year tuition to just about any college in the state to all students with a 3.0 or better. Do the same in the first year of college and they do the same for the second. Take that!

Georgia Hope Scholarship

NO! No, no, a hundred times no.

While Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship is a four year scholarship given to the highest ranking member or members of a high school graduating class attending any college or university in Wisconsin, it is not a full tuition scholarship, and has not been for several years. Currently, the award is $2250 per year, which is just over a single semester of tuition at UW-Madison.

See the link above. More awards are given in large schools than in small schools. In my graduating class of about 300, either three or five awards were given.