Highway Sign in Pennsylvania. Hmmmm.

The work involves displaying PA natural attractions such as:

PA State horse: DETOUR>>>
PA State sign: REDUCE SPEED-CONSTRUCTION AHEAD
PA State mineral: Asphalt
PA State bird: The reflective jacketed highway flagger, Flaggus waggus. Bird is known by its distinctive call: Stop. Slow. Stop. Slow. Bird inhabits statewide environs where road cones and barrels are found. Birds may be captured using tar lures and the “backup alarm” call: beep, beep, beep. Often found in groups of 6 or more, sleeping during daytime hours in yellow trucks.

Here in West Virginia

We have signs in a series

Always on the interstate

Usually they rhyme

And tell you not to litter or buckle up

They’re really annoying

Is that why they’re always talking about the IDOT here?

rimshot

Okay, that made me snort. I have to admit. I mean, would I drive more dangerously if I thought all the adults working road crews were unmarried childless men and women? Those signs torque me off, I tell ya.

Still and all, I love where this thread is going. I can’t wait for someone living in Spain to let us know that Mommy has travelled overseas. :smiley:

Down in Missouri, I think it was, there were a bunch of signs saying “Don’t throw trash on the side of the road.” They couldn’t just say “No littering”?

We wondered if it was legal to stop, open the door, and set the trash on the road, then drive away…

Related to all this, of course, is the fact that PennDOT road crews are to be cut in half next year.

Seems some contractor invented a shovel that can stand up all by itself.

So next spring, only half of the potholes will be made into road bumps-the rest will remain potholes.

Oh, the humanity! :rolleyes:

So I’m the only one who envisioned a road crew of dirty jeans and scuffed workboots, all cut off at the waist?

But how will coffee places survive? PennDOT obviously didn’t think this one out very well.

Robin

Instead of for the next million miles I guess they could make them more regional, like…

Buckle Up When Approaching Intercourse

All time favourite sign, seen all over northern Germany when I was there for the summer about 6 years ago: an official ‘caution, children playing’ sign that was only a black silhouette of a teddy bear what had been squashed down the middle by an enormous tire tread.

Bloody marvelous.

Maybe no one there knew what “littering” was? :dubious:

Now that’s just naaaaaasty.

(I want one for my apartment… :smiley: )

Washington has signs that say “Litter and it will hurt”. Funny, I feel fine! :wink:

I drove 2000 miles this last weekend thru California, Oregon and Washington. I’m actually glad to be back to work. :rolleyes:

I’ll tell you…I had been on my best behaviour for weeks with my host family, as they were well known in the neighbourhood as very serious, academic, somber people (I was in the only house in Europe during the 1998 World Cup who didn’t like footy :eek:) – and I dunno…but when I first saw that sign, I just bloody lost it. Weeks of pent up giggles. I haven’t been invited back.

:smiley:

My all time favorite sign was one on a bridge entering Boston (this was years ago) that said:

Slow Down When Flashing

It did have two yellow lights on it, but still…

I’m always amused by the signs that say “Slow Children at Play.” Maybe if they ate their Wheaties they’d be faster.

Burma Shave.

One of my all-time favorites was in my grandparents’ town in North Central Arkansas. This was an official yellow warning sign, posted next to a part of the highway that crossed a river:

“Road unsafe when underwater”

I guess ADOT doesn’t have very much faith in the intelligence of the locals. :slight_smile:

I have nothing good to say about a state which is apparently so corrupt that they force you to drive through downtown Breezewood just so that you can *** stay on I-70***.