Hindenburg Engineering Question

Speed of sound in Hydrogen (0°C) 1286 m/s
Speed of sound in Helium (0°C) 972 m/s

Listen, can I get anyone a beer?

:runs for the door:

:slight_smile:

Q

That’s a good rule of thumb, but it’s not the whole story. For instance, in a given gas, a higher temperature will both decrease the density and increase the speed of sound.

However, a less dense gas will make the vocal cords vibrate faster, which would raise the pitch of your voice.

Which only means that other stuff was burning (or at least glowing) , not that no hydrogen was burning. It don’t take all that much other stuff in H2 to give the flames a nice bright glow.

Yes. Where we you when I needed you? The solution came to me just as I was at the top of my backswing while making a 30 yard wedge approach to the green on the 3rd hole. “Helium is monatomic!” I thought and hit the ground about 3 in. behind the ball. As a result the ball only went halfway to the green instead of into the hole as it surely would have done if I hadn’t been distracted at such a crucual moment.

:smiley: :smiley:

You made my whole night with that reply, David! I’m no golfer, but I sure would like to buy you a beer or three sometime. Let me know if you’re ever down my way, okay?

Still chuckling… :slight_smile:

Q

Yep. In fact, they originally planned to use helium in the Hindenburg. When it was under construction it became apparent that they weren’t going to be able to get it from the US, who considered it a strategic resource. To take advantage of the extra lifting capacity that they’d now have from switching to hydrogen, they added ten additional passenger cabins (nine two berth cabins and one four berth family cabin).

Eric