Hindus, Kindly Educate Me On The Parade Of Chariots(need answer fast)

Sadly, only after inviting friends did I discover the festivities were by the International Society For Krishna Consciousness AKA ISKCON AKA The Hare Krishnas.

I’ve previously been informed that the ISKCON translation of the Bhagavad Gita was so distorted as to be worthless. Is it still worth my time to go tomorrow? Could you please inform me of the true meanings of the event, and all its terms, symbols, and subtleties?

The event’s site is paradeofchariots.com

Thank you for your help and wisdom.

I went to one with my son when he was little. But, it was in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, which is a cool place to go for any reason at all. And in the Bay Area, I expect they have greater numbers/ more money for festivities than, say, a small town might have.

It was great for me because I love Indian food, music, and culture; and I was a single mother who didn’t get out much

Depending on your friends’ temperaments, and your own, and where it’s taking place, it could be a good little outing.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking. The Hare Krishnas’ parade of chariots has whatever meaning they say it has.

Hinduism is a conglomeration of whatever rites, rituals, evens, terms, symbols, and subtleties that are employed by people who happen to be Hindus. There is no overarching or universal dogma or interpretation.

I don’t know that a parade of chariots has any general popularity throughout India. The one that I know of mainly is related toJaggannath in Puri.

(Speaking purely in my own opinion, pretty much anything put on by Iskcon is a waste of time, except their restaurants. They serve pretty good food, if you’re in the mood for vegetarian.)

It sounds interesting. I want to go to whichever festival they throw color bombs around!

Is the color permanent or does it wash out, it would make a really neat souvenir to have a set of white colorbomb dyed clothing =)

You want Holi, which is celebrated in the spring.

Are they going to have food? Some of the best food I’ve ever eaten in my life was Hare Krishna food. Besides, it sounds like an interesting time.

There will be "

Non-vegan - Kheer:
Vegan -Dryfruit Laddo
Raisin Halwa(Non vegan)
Non Vegan - Navratan Korma
Sweet and Sour Sabji(Vegan)
Chick peas: Vegan
Rice
Salad
Vadas(Vegan)
Chapatis/Puris
Bhel puri "

I love halava/halva (the tahini based stuff) and am very keen to try halwa (which is apparently semolina based)

It’s not meant to be permanent, as such, but it doesn’t always come out completely. People don’t wear clothes that they consider “good.”

well, I still think it sounds like a lot of fun =)

The free food was delicious. I also bought some rose ice cream. It had a very subtle kind of earthy flavor. It was exquisite.

Most of the festival was very enjoyable.

I did ask some questions at the information table. But did not feel free to ask all my questions.

Fer example-

So the black face with bug eyes is lord Jugganah (spelling is almost certainly wrong here). The big eyes represent that he is watching and watching over the whole world. I am confused by the jet black skin though. Threads on this board have taught me that dark skin is generally seen as a bad thing in Indian culture.

I forgot to ask why there were only two chariots instead of three.

I forgot to ask if the newspaper containing the ad for the festival- which has an image of the face of Lord Jugganah- can be disposed of in a normal manner. I suspect I can just toss it, but I do not want to mistreat a sacred image of another faith.

There wouldn’t be a newspaper ad if it wasn’t okay to toss it.

There are some gods that are traditionally depicted with dark skin. It has no bearing on how dark skin is seen in society.