Historic Politicians Views On Abortion

What were the view of FDR, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, JFK, Lyndon B Johnson, and other politicians from around the 1950 to the '70s on abortion?

Abortion was illegal then, so they were probably agin’ it. Plus Kennedy was Catholic.
Also, abortion wasn’t really a big conversational topic then like it is now.

Abortion rights didn’t become an issue until the mid-60s, when states started legalizing it. Politicians never mentioned it as an issue: it was illegal and no one was advocating its repeal before that point. Of those you mentioned, on Johnson was active when this was becoming an issue, and he had other things on his mind.

Well his erm personal life does not exactly reflect Catholic standards. Plus his younger brother was a supporter of abortion.

It woud be intersting if anyone knew what their personal beliefs were.

Obviously, as others pointed out, they wouldn’t publicly support abortion but it certainly existed and it’d be interesting to see if any thought it was OK on a personal level.

I’d wager that those presidents never had to deal with the issue. I’m a female who lived through the ‘60’ and '70’s. AFAIK, abortion was still considered a “back-alley,” illegal procedure about which it was taboo to even acknowledge its existence. Of course, men controlled the legislature and the executive branches, and the subject didn’t arise (despite the new feminist movement). I was very young, and not tuned into politics or feminist issues, but I don’t recall that abortion was ever up for debate. (I do recall the advent of the “pill,” which I took advantage of but was given only because I said I was married and had on a wedding band, loaned from a friend).

Abortion was a political issue in the 1960s. Nineteen states changed their abortion laws between 1960 and 1973. New York was largest state and changed its abortion laws in 1970 to legalize almost all abortions in the first six months of pregnancy. It was not generally a national issue, but was handled at the state level before 1973.

You could say the same thing about a lot of abortion opponents. (And which younger brother – Ted or Robert?) Keep in mind, this was a different time. People and views change. (Besides, being pro-choice doesn’t mean one is pro-abortion)
I do know that Barry Goldwater was pro-choice. In fact his wife, Peggy, was a founder of the Arizona Chapter of Planned Parenthood. They also helped one of their daughters obtain an abortion back in the 1950s. PP also has awards named after both Barry and Peggy, IIRC.

[moderating]
Excellent point.
Unless someone shows up in the thread who has discussed abortion with one of the aforementioned presidents, I think it belongs over in IMHO rather than GQ.
So moved…
[/moderating]

I doubt any of the politicians named by the OP differed significantly from the politicians of today. What they might have said in public about abortion would be negative. What they really believed wouldn’t have been revealed. It’s all about votes and has already been pointed out, attitudes were generally different “way back then.”

If you really want to know what they believed, search for the answers; do a little or a lot of research; their lives are generally in the public record. Get back to us with your results.

While they might have been on the record as being against, keep in mind that many, many people will say that they’re pro-life, even when they are getting an abortion, or are helping someone else get an abortion. I’d be VERY surprised if JFK, for instance, didn’t help some woman of his aquaintance to take care of a surprise pregnancy.

I’d be very surprised if it was only one woman; that was a guy who took very seriously the “go forth and multiply” rule, although he probably did try to avoid the “multiply” part of it.

Back then, I think most men, especially powerful men, didn’t give a thought about the consequences – after all, that was the woman’s problem. And I doubt that the women even considered going public or trying to get financial support. The woman would be vilified, called a tramp, “it’s her own fault,” powerful men have greater sexual needs, blah blah. Women were either virgins or whores; men were powerful and macho, and the more women he had, the better.

Nixon wasmeh.
JFK never commented on the issue while in the same article it seems that Teddy changed from anti to pro.

I’d also be very surprised if JFK had impregnated only one woman other than his wife…and I don’t think that he had any Biblical reason for doing so, I think that he was just a horndog who felt entitled to get action from any woman he could talk into it.

Yeah, I meant he had probably impregnated more than one woman; I thought I had made that clear in my post but I guess I didn’t.

The thing from the bible was an apparently misunderstood attempt at a lame joke.