Historical Baseball Questions (Ken Burns)

Me too. Maybe he had the coat on inside-out, or his fly open, and she was just being nice to him?

Sports Illustrated for 12 March 1956 has Yogi in the white linen suit and umpire Hank Soar as the “not so hot” one.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1956/03/12/events-discoveries

I saw (on television) the entire major league career of Bob Kammeyer, who surrendered more earned runs (8) than anyone else in the infinite ERA club.

There was some controversy surrounding his performance that night. Among the batters he faced was Cliff Johnson, who was HBP. After finally yanking Kammeyer, Billy Martin was seen to hand him some bills from his wallet. The Cleveland batboy (or was it the ballboy) reported to have heard Martin explain that the money was a reward for hitting Johnson, while Martin explained that it was simply an invitation to have a few drinks to wash away the memory of his baseball career (a little background: Johnson had begun that 1979 season with the Yankees, and was traded some time after breaking Rich Gossage’s thumb in a clubhouse brawl. This was later identified by many as the effective end of the season for the Yankees, who never did give Baltimore any cause to worry).

There is little I’d have put past Martin, but Bob Lemon was the team’s manager at the time of the brawl, and without it, Martin would likely not have found himself back in the dugout quite so soon. I could see Martin saying something like “that’s for hitting Johnson”, but I believe him as far as his true motivation. For what it’s worth…

Kammeyer pitched seven games the year before that game and got 67 men out, so his career ERA is 9.14, which is horrifying but not infinite. The list gdave linked to is a bunch of infinite ERA seasons, not careers - there are some very good pitchers on that list, actually. Wilson Alvarez, Jaime Navarro, Doc Medich, those guys were good pitchers. Mort Cooper won an MVP Award.

The list that appears on page 2 of the document I linked does, as you say, list infinite ERA seasons. However, for the 18 bolded names, those are also their career ERAs. Hence, as I said, there are at least 18 MLB players known to have infinite career ERAs. I probably should have made that clear in my initial cite.