Historical events Pop culture has done to death

Flavorwire is a site that often posts fun lists. This one http://flavorwire.com/163753/10-historical-figures-and-events-pop-culture-has-exhausted/5
caught my eye. While I disagree with lots of their mentions, I do agree the Titanic has been covered enough. Can you believe there are plans for a mini-series on the Titanic. ENOUGH already.
What do you guys think?

Only agree with #10

Robin Hood. Seriously, we don’ even know if he was a real person.

Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. Does anybody *not *know how this ends?

Camelot. Starz is about to rehash this yet again.

That web page authors who make lists into one-item-per-page slideshows should be fed to rabid weasels.

Several of these are too broad. Titanic and Anne Boleyne are pretty specific and done-to-freaking-death subjects, but World War II? You can make a WW2 film set anywhere from the Arctic Circle to Tierra del Fuego with characters who are peasants, soldiers, kings, billionaires, children or old and on any continent except Antarctica and have a story. (You could probably get one on Antarctica if you tried hard enough.) Saving Private Ryan, Schindler’s List and Inglorious Basterds were set just in the European theater and couldn’t be more different. It’s inexhaustible as a category. If you wanted to narrow it and say “D-Day” maybe, but even then there’s room.

Ditto Prohibition. The Untouchables and Boardwalk Empire are not only both about the time period but both have Al Capone as a character, and there’s still a lot to be done with it.

Things I would retire

Unless there’s major innovation or alternative history we don’t need another movie about the JFK assassination. Whether as center stage or back ground, been there done that. Cuban Missile Crisis is right behind it.

While I’d love to see a movie with a realistic southern setting during the U.S. Civil War and I’d particularly love to see one with some really good and accurate battle scenes, the ‘ahead of her time’ upper class heroine (whether Scarlett O’Hara or Ada Monroe or the North & South babes) is done to frigging death. I’ve always thought Across Five Aprils (a y.a. novel about a poor Illinois family with members who fight on both sides) would be great to film.

Movies about the relationships between white employers and their long suffering noble black domestics in the Civil Rights era south have also been done to death and then kept alive as zombie pets for years, and yet The Help was a major bestseller and soon to be a major motion picture so evidently there is a market. Nevertheless, unless this time the maid gets mad and cuts up the family with a chain saw at Thanksgiving and then comes back each year to haunt another white family, let it end with The Help.

Agree on Cleopatra, even though they’re about to do her up again. (Maybe this time she’ll whip Octavian’s ass.) There’s so many other great royal stories that have never been done- hell, Byzantium writes itself in the intrigue-drama-bloodiness-weird sex-hot babes-armies-poison department and is a hugely rich untapped mine of material for historical dramas that you don’t have to dust off Cleo again.

The Vietnam war. It’s been done to death. I’d like to see film or TV treatments of other wars (except WW2) the US has fought. Maybe a TV series like MASH, but set during the Korean war or something.

MASH was set during the Korean war.

Nothing has been done to death. There is no historical event that can be made into a good book or movie with the right people behind it.

People thought, for instance, that pirate films were tired and old and no one cared. Then came Johnny Depp.

Everyone thought James Cameron was nuts to do another film about the Titanic.

It doesn’t matter. Once someone does a good film on any of these “done to death” subjects, people will see it.

“Titanic” was my first thought, even before I clicked the link. It shows up constantly in time-travel stories (Time Bandits, The Time Tunnel, Time and Again), as if it’s the only ship that sank. Within a year of Cameron’s film, we had a TV movie and a Broadway musical. And there have been plenty of other films in which it figures (Cavalcade, Unsinkable Molly Brown, A Night to Remember). Enough!

But Julian Fellowes–who wrote Downton Abbey–is writing the script for the new Titanic miniseries. And Helen Mirren is rumored to be interested.

I wouldn’t rule out any story from history (or legend) absolutely. However, some eras* have* been sadly neglected. Like Byzantium. But the more obscure periods probably require a boffo bestselling novel to focus attention; Robert Graves’ Count Belisarius isn’t exactly boffo but his Claudius novels made a wonderful mini-series.

And I’d gladly buy a ticket for Web Page Authors Who Make Lists Into One-item-per-page Slideshows Fed to Rabid Weasels. In 3-D!

I’m surprised the list didn’t include the Holocaust. (Though I TOTALLY DISAGREE it’s been done to death)

I wonder if it will feature Lord Grantham’s cousins who died on the Titanic (off-camera but important plot point and the first scene in the miniseries as I recall) as characters.

There are many time periods, not even obscure ones (e.g. 13th century Bulgaria), that are very ripe for the picking.

In American history alone:

The American Revolution- rarely touched as a backdrop

Abraham Lincoln- there hasn’t been a good film on him in years (Spielberg has one in production- Day Lewis is attached currently, was Liam Neeson- but I think he needs an HBO miniseries rather than a movie)

The Trail of Tears- has there ever been a major movie about it?

The Gold Rush(es)- from Georgia to California to Alaska, all could be interesting fodder

Pocahontas- she was a major character in the flop (largely due to not finding a distributor- the movie wasn’t bad at all) The New World, but a live-action and historically accurate miniseries on her could be great

A Band of Brothers style miniseries on the U.S. Civil War or World War I have major potential

The 1970s has lots of great potential and if it was a big enough hit my bell bottoms would be back in style.

World War I certainly has scope for more. Anzacs was the last miniseries effort I remember.

That might be interesting, but I’d rather seem a miniseries about say the RMS Lusitania. One caveat, I’d love to see a Titanic miniseries/move with a strong 2nd class story (in addition to the traditional 1st & 3rd class ones). I’ve seen the one from the '70s, but the subplot didn’t get very much screentime.

In the end, the offender is rescued from the weasels on the brink of death. No longer capable of speech because of all the damage the weasels did, he is fitted with a special communication device that, in a cruel twist, forces him to construct all of his sentences using one-word-per-page slideshows. (“Please … (click, wait for next page to load) help … (click, wait for next page to load) me!”)

God willing, torturing these terrible people will one day become an item on a list of events that have been done to death.

Well, it may have been done a time or two, but IMO nobody has made a Gallipoli for the Vietnam War. Yet.

The difference with pirate movies is that 99% of the time they’re presenting a very romanticized version of pirates. Hence there are about a thousand different directions you could go with a pirate story, up to and including supernatural elements like ghosts and cursed treasure.

I do agree that some historical events have been “done” about enough. Vietnam movies in particular; back in the '80s it was shocking to show all the atrocities that happened in 'Nam, but nowadays that’s all been done and re-done, and there’s not much more new ground to cover (Tropic Thunder was a brilliant sendup of 'Nam movies, however.)

Not exactly historical, unless you’re talking about the Kennedy version.