Hit by more raindrops running or standing?

Cecil,

An easier way to perform your research would be to get two subjects, have them traverse the same parking lot in the rain at the same time, wearing the same clothing. You would like them both (especially the runner) to be very low sweaters (guys who don’t sweat much - run on a cool day). At the end of the crossing of the parking lot, take off their shirts and weigh them. Easy. For your reader that wants the findings to reach statistical significance have 100 people participate if you wish.

ETA link to column: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/827/which-will-keep-you-drier-running-through-the-rain-or-walking -Rico

Mythbusters did this and their data showed it’s better to walk than run.

You would have to find people with similar builds and running postures in order for the results to be comparable.
Powers &8^]

In the first episode, they tested the myth “You end up drier running in the rain than walking” & came to the result of BUSTED.

However, in episode 38, where they revisited some myths, they tested it differently & REVERSED the result & now say the myth that “You end up drier running in the rain than walking” is CONFIRMED.

So the Mythbusters got it wrong the first time, but eventually agreed with Cecil.

Well, I’ve always trusted Cecil more than Mythbusters…

The answer also depends on factors like the wind; according to the calculator here, you will stay the driest if you run with the wind so the rain is effectively hitting you vertically. Also, if you change the speed and distance so the time stays the same, you will get wetter if you run (ignoring wind); for example, with the default parameters and a speed of 2 m/s and a distance of 200 meters (100 seconds), it calculates that you get about 30 ml of rain, but with twice the speed and distance (same time), you get about 53 ml of rain, so you do in fact get wetter faster when you run; you only don’t get as wet when the distance is the same.

I think this whole argument is a bit silly, personally. I’ve never cared about the total number of raindrops that hit me in a rainstorm. I care about *where *they hit my body. I would rather have a hundred raindrops on my shoulders and back and feet than a single one on my head.

This concern prompted me to invent an awesome new style of hat! It combines the functionality of an umbrella with the fashion sense of a circus clown. But it keeps you dry in the rain, and isn’t that the most important thing? This thing is gonna make me rich. RICH, I TELL YOU!

Make sure you check with the patent office first.

https://www.google.com/search?q=umbrella+hat&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yX1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZXQ1UP2NOIeW6wGzo4HwBw&ved=0CIkBELAE&biw=1518&bih=899
Powers &8^]

There is another factor to consider. Several years ago in Florida, I was coming out of a building just as one of our famous thunderstorms was about to hit. I figured by running to my car I could get there before the rain came down in buckets. However, I was holding something in one hand, and the run took me over and along some of the parking lot curbs. In seconds, I tripped, twisted an ankle, and fell on my right elbow, breaking my ulna :smack:

I got much wetter while lying on the ground, rolling over with some help, and waiting for the ambulance. I went to the ER, receiving IV’s for the trauma in the ambulance, waited (as usual) for the doctor and the X-rays, got a temporary cast, had to go back for surgical repair, and still have the plate in my arm. I could not write with my right hand for six to eight weeks, could not drive myself anywhere, and even had to have my wife’s help to evacuate our riverside apartment during a tropical storm.

Bottom line: on some surfaces, if you are not an expert runner, it’s better to get wetter than to break a bone!

… if running under a thunderstorm.
i heard that odds of being struck by a lightning are much higher when running than when walking… though i couldnt find any valuable source to back this claim, the distance between one’s feet when lignthing strikes in the close vicinity translates into a high electric potential that may fry (and dry) your intimity.

it makes no difference for the lightning.