Hold on to your wallets, Steam summer sale incoming!

As of 7PM EST, I am downloading a game at 1.2MB/S which is my connection’s maximum speed. It seems alright.

X-Com Enemy Within and Age of Wonders 3 are the only game I’m interested in this year. Which means I’ll probably buy 10 or so games…

I have a slow connection. I somehow borked my Oblivion game fooling around with cleaning out an unneeded mod and now I have to reinstall it. It should be done around tomorrow morning or so. I’m getting KB/s.

South Park: The Stick of Truth is part of the current Community Choice. It’s just 33% off at $40.19. I want the game but that’s not good enough. It’s a relatively new game, so I understand they don’t want to give a massive discount yet. I’ll wait for the Black Friday sale at least on this one.

That’s my thinking as well. It’ll probably be 20 bucks by then.

I went ahead and picked up the Borderlands and Borderlands 2 GOTYs for $15 apiece. I want Assassin’s Creed IV as well, but I’m hoping for a deeper discount later on.

Seems that Patience is the name of the game here.

Games I’m on the lookout for:

Assassin’s Creed 2 - on sale currently for $11.99, 40% off $19.99. It’s an older game, but it’s the one in the series I’m missing. I have a feeling it will be part of a Daily Deal or Flash Sale at some point.

Sniper Elite 3 - been on sale for $39.99, 20% off $49.99 since well before it was released. Not likely to drop any further as it just came out. I’ll pick up the extra missions for Sniper Elite V2 and play those for my sniper fix until this game drops further later in the year.

Watch Dogs - “the” premium title at the moment; I’m honestly not expecting it to be discounted at all until at least Black Friday, possibly not until Xmas. I can wait.

Skyrim - currently at 50%, but I have a feeling it’s going to drop further at some point during this sale.

Already picked up Far Cry 3 and DmC Devil May Cry. Got an email earlier telling me I’m finally able to download Wasteland 2 after being a backer for almost a year now, so I’ve already got plenty to keep me busy for a while.

I tried playing Assassin’s Creed IV on my PS3 but for some reason the graphics look horrid. Same thing happened to GTAV. Maybe it’s always been that way and I just didn’t notice because I was used to it, or maybe because I have the first PS3 and it’s getting old and run down.

I’ve recently updated my computer so I’d be able to play on my PC. If it’s gets on a flash sale I’ll pick it up.

I bought Watch Dogs and my feeling is “meh”.

It is not bad by any stretch. It is pretty fun but the PC “port” has some real issues and the game overall is, well, “meh”. Has its moments though. Personally I think it is worth $25-35 and only if you really like the genre.

Skyrim…well…it’s Skyim. A good buy at full price. I am amazed at how resilient its pricing has been over the years. It never really gets “cheap”.

Great game by most measures though. If you are a fan of the genre double points. DLC is worthwhile too. Make sure to access mods (Steam Workshop) which take it from a good, solid game to something really great. Steam makes this a breeze.

Apart from that I would say nab XCOM: Enemy Unknown which is on sale for another 12 hours from this writing. Also grab the DLC Enemy Within which is very expensive for a DLC but also on sale.

XCom is a lot of fun but perhaps one has limited appeal so be sure you like that sort of game.

For fun I thought these were funny:

http://gabegaming.com/ (turn your volume down…this can surprise with loud music)

Lord of the Sales: The Battle of Walletsdeep - YouTube (this one cracks me up…slow to start but pays off)

Witcher 2 and something called Startopia (Deep Space 9 Tycoon, basically) ~$5.00 total. Probably grab Borderlands 2 next. Always wanted to play that.
Just starting XCom Enemy Unknown tutorial.

Don’t forget to join a team for the Summer Adventure for a chance to win a game from your wishlist.

Let’s go Green!

If you decide you like it be sure to nab the DLC XCom: Enemy Within.

It is very expensive for a DLC but a worthwhile addition. If you like Enemy Unknown be sure to grab Enemy Within while it is on sale (which is not a whole lot longer…several hours maybe).

I think Enemy Within contains the dumb DLC before it. Not sure though. Check before you buy that stuff.

Okay, so I’m off to a not-so-frugal start. I just picked up X-COM: Complete; I’d been curious about the game, and decided to go for the DLC based on some posts in this thread. I also bought Anno 2070 Complete Edition, which I would have bought two or three sales ago because it really seems like it’d be right up my alley, but up until now they’d been really stingy about the price.

And what the hell, Startopia, too. I’ll gamble $1.74 on that.

Also, I want to endorse two indie games pre-emptively. Terraria and Banished are each excellent, and are the best kind of indie game.

Terraria is currently 60% off, and I would expect it to be discounted even more at some point during this sale (though it’s a steal at $3.99, too). The dev team keeps making new content for the game, for free. I have gotten hundreds of hours out of fun out of this game.

Banished is a pioneer-times town builder. Some people call it a starvation simulator, and it kind of is until you get the hang of it. I like it a lot. It’s currently 25% off, and I expect it to be discounted further at some point during the sale.

Just bought Anno 2070 for 7.50$ with all the DLC. Upon installing it, I see that it involves Uplay DRM. Next time I hear that something uses Uplay, no way I’m buying it; instead I’ll [message not allowed on this board for reason of advocating illegal activity].

Half-Life 2 for $2.49 is a pretty good Flash Sale right now

Wishlist:

Skyrim - Legendary Edition. I played it out on the 360, but have not the DLC. Best price to date was USD 16.99, I’m hoping for under 10, or 66% off. It could happen.

Banished. Not sure how much play I’d get out of it. Could be 50+ hours, could be 2. Looking for USD 5. Probably won’t happen.

I have no reason to expect Minecraft to go on sale, if it ever does, but I’m looking to buy it for my daughter.

I would like XCOM: Enemy Within. Best price to date is 12.50.

Teleglitch, a shooter RT roguelike I passed on previously. Depending on what else is available, I might go for it if it goes under 5 again.

Maybe Crusader Kings II or Europa Universalis IV, but I don’t know where I’d find the time to really get into them. Same deal with Shogun: TW II. Not expecting Rome: TW II to fall into my range.

That said, I tend to get weird stuff during sales, not what’s on my list. I was thinking I could use a good RTS, but not Starcraft II or Company of Heroes II.

Checking the 90% off list, there’s a few interesting titles.

Shadowgrounds Survivor Save 85% on Shadowgrounds Survivor on Steam action, metascore 79, user score 7.9. I like the looks of this one. Shooty.

Deponia Save 90% on Deponia on Steam adventure, metascore 74, user score 8.4. Meh, I’m not big on adventure games, personally. Thought I’d mention it because I’m sure plenty of people are.

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves on Steam action+strategy metascore 79, user score 8.0. (I have it, haven’t finished. It’s a bit amatuerish but interesting tactics and the story didn’t suck.)

Disciples II: Gold Edition Green Man Gaming strategy, metascore ~80, user score same-- the gold edition doesn’t actually have enough reviews, so I’m going off the component games. It’s old, but still looks great (although the artwork on Rise of the Elves wasn’t as good) and is worth a couple bucks if you have a fantasy wargame itch.

Monaco: What’s Yours Is Mine Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine on Steam stealth, metascore 83, user score 7.8. I’d get this if I had the mates.

Peggle (puzzle) is free on Origin. Titanfall is 40 bucks, or half off. Other than that, looks like EA isn’t trying to go head to head. They just had a sale.

Guys, if you are at all into tactical RPG’s like Baldur’s Gate, Dragon Age: Origins, or you’re looking forward to games like Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2, pick up Divinity: Original Sin.

I know it seems like a Diablo clone a la torchlight but it’s not. It’s a lot more like a BG. IT’s also officially coming out in a week, so it’s not in some perpetual early access limbo.

Yeah, I might just go ahead and buy it while I’m in a spending mood.

Also looking at Dishonored and Thief, though I may only buy just one of them. The former is 50% off now at $9.99, the latter 33% off at $20.09.

Oops. I thought it was listing at 25 these days, but that’s 40% off. I’ll have to think about that one. I’ve played the vanilla game a lot already and I’m not sure how keen I am for the extra content. I found the DLCs for a couple other RPGs underwhelming. While the PC version is widely recommended for the mods, I’ve never been big on them.

I have Watch Dogs for the PC and it runs fine for me. From what I’ve heard, it’s mainly the top-end rigs having trouble with it. Playing it on High (rather than Ultra) on my less than cutting-edge system it runs trouble free. Agreed though that unless you’re a big fan of the “open world crime” game genre you should probably wait until it’s at least 50% off. It’s a fun game and has a few new ideas but it’s not completely revolutionary or anything.

Sang-Froid is part of the bottom tier of the current Humble Weekly so a buck will get you that plus two other games on Steam.