Holes question - Spoiler

Sorry, I don’t know how to do a spoiler box … I just saw “Holes” last night, and was wondering …

Spoiler coming up …

How did Stanley Yelnats’s name get on the trunk?

I obviously missed something!

It was his great-grandfather’s trunk. Since Stanley is Stanley Yelnats IV, he has the same name as his father, his grandfather, and his great grandfather.

Well, there’s ‘spoiler’ in the title, so I’m not going to bother to put a spoiler box here. Yo ho, there be spoilers ahead.

The trunk belonged to his no-good pig-stealing great-grandfather. The theft of the money by Kissing Kate Barlow was another incident in a string of bad luck that started when he failed to return to carry Madame Zeroni up the mountain, and haunted his family until his descendant carried hers up the mountain. That’s also the reason that his father can’t come up with any functional inventions.

Once Stanley carried Zero up the mountain, he ended the family curse, and so was able to find the family’s treasure at long last, as well as bringing back the key to his father’s first successful invention, the shoe liners, which connect back to the abnormally smelly shoes he was accused of stealing in the Very First Scene.

I love the way that book turns in and back on itself.

Thanks!

I obviously somehow missed Kate stealing the trunk from his great-grandfather …

It was a great movie - I really enjoyed it … I’d like to read the book as well.