Holiday week work schedule conundrum

I talked to her last night and she is no longer “wound up”, she is somewhat pissed. She has never missed a scheduled work day and other than a weekend she took off for her brother’s graduation has worked every weekend since the middle of February. Plus she knows coworkers who have had several no call/no shows or call in hours after they were supposed to come in and they still have a job and yet they threatened to fire her because she said she might not come in.

She did text one the managers who is scheduled to work those days and said she wasn’t coming in. He said thanks for giving him the heads up, most people don’t bother doing that.

Good for her.

We have a somewhat similar situation in our family. Our daughter wrote down “no availability” for the coming week because at the time of scheduling I wasn’t sure what day we were going to leave to stay with family. They scheduled her for Wednesday anyway because “officially you can’t say you have zero availability, you have to block in at least 13 hours”. I have no idea how prominently or if at all this was ever actually communicated to her, but seems to me that if the scheduling software lets you put in zero hours availability without complaint then they should abide by that.

In this instance I’m encouraging her to compromise and swap a shift with someone. But I think the onus of ensuring mutual understanding is on the people who do this all the time, ie the company - they shouldn’t just assume that teenagers in their first job are familiar with how the rules change around Christmas

I think they meant “now that she’s told them she’s not coming, don’t show up”.

Whereas I think the person I was responding to was saying that if your work says you “can’t” take time off, your only ethical options are to quit or show up. I disagree with that.

Exactly. Teach the manager to pay attention next time and to not expect to be able to jerk people around.