Hollywood got it right!

Turk, a surgery resident, is far too nice, too well-rested, and has far too much free time.

For realism I’ve always liked how Jamie Foxx captured the cadences of schizophrenic speech in The Soloist. The synesthetic visualizations of the music, not so much.

I was impressed at how accurately The Wrestler portrayed the world of indie pro wrestling.

The WWII film ***Fury *** (2014) had the last working Tiger tank in the world.

This sure beats older WWII movies that tried to use Sherman tanks disguised as German tanks.

The movies in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy (the Swedish ones) had, for the most part, the most accurate depictions of programming / hacking that I’ve ever seen.

Of course, it’s not much of a hurdle to clear…:slight_smile:

Kenneth Branagh’s Frankenstein was not Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.

A cousin of mine who is a lawyer says Law & Order is accurate, with the caveat that every week is the sort of “once in a lifetime” case. No one would see a case like that every week.

Children of a Lesser god used actual Deaf actors in all the Deaf roles, so the signing is accurate. The depictions of the Deaf community are good too, but the core situation of a Deaf/hearing relationship is in itself unusual. When it does happen, usually the hearing person spends more time in the Deaf community, not the other way around, or the relationship is very short.

I was hoping that Children of a Lesser god would set a precedent for using actual disabled actors in disabled roles, but except for Deaf people, it hasn’t had much effect.

They did mention the famous people who were supposed to travel back on the Hindenburg. They were supposedly the target. She mentioned Igor Sikorsky and Omar Bradley. I was not able to find a manifest for the return trip that didn’t happen but it sounds ridiculous. Bradley was just some random Lieutenant Colonel at the time.

From Imdb: They used actual flight controllers for that scene.

There is a scene in Child 44 (a serial killer crime drama set in the post WWII Stalinist USSR) where the hero, Leo, and his wife are trying to figure out how they will get past some guards who are checking identification and travel papers. The wife is a teacher and she notices one of the guard’s eyes aren’t moving when he looks at people’s papers which every teacher (and librarian) knows is a sign the person isn’t reading. She correctly deduces that guard was at least functionally illiterate and would let them through with anything that resembled identification and travel papers.

I only watched the Swedish version of Dragon Tattoo and the main thing that bothered me was the lackadaisical attitude of some of the characters. “Mind if I look through your cherished photo album for no reason?” “Sure go ahead.” " Mind if we search through your police records without authorization?" " Sure go ahead. "

Concurred from what I hear. It’s boring, it’s dull, there are no medical mysteries for 95% of your career and the ones there are you don’t catch in time because you assume it’s same old same old. Nurses/interns spend a lot of time literally scooping shit out of old people.
Also there’s all of the gossip, all of the time.

I reckon McNulty’s supposed to be a TV cop trapped in the real world.

Office Space captures the large corporate IT department zeitgeist perfectly. I’ve worked in those cubicles; been to those birthday parties; turned in those reports; met with The Bobs. It’s been my job to translate what the tech geeks say to what users can understand. They nailed it.

Idiocracy. All of it. :frowning:

A TV item rather than a movie, but on Cartoon Network’s (Adult Swim, actually, to give you an idea of the general level of humor) animated Stroker and Hoop a few years ago, a character decides on the spur-of-the-moment to temporarily fake his death, or at least make it ambiguous to buy himself some time, when his car gets firebombed by tossing a few personal items (his keys, IIRC) into the blazing wreck.

He does it from a noticeable distance away, squinting, and trying to shield himself from the heat the whole time. After all, just because he’s not touching the flame doesn’t mean he can’t feel it, or be hurt by it.

There’s an entertaining book called The Hollywood History Of The World.

Written by George McDonald Fraser (who famously wrote the Flashman series of historical novels), he was also a movie scriptwriter. He points out how Hollywood mostly gets it right (he’s not a big fan of the Sid James portrayal of Henry VIII:D).

This.

The first time I saw it I swear I recognized all of the characters, including the red stapler guy.

Bringing Out the Dead is pretty much a farce, but the movie really captures how it feels to be continually sleep deprived while working shifts.

The wiki article on the World War II submarine movie “Run Silent, Run Deep” comments that director Robert Wise had real submariners work with the crew to accurately depict torpedo attacks.

Speaking from experience, Hollywood NAILED the behavioral ecology of exogorths.

How accurate was Das Boot?

I thought The Competition (1980) was a pretty accurate depiction of how classical musicians think and behave. There were a couple of plot points that were unrealistic (particularly the Amy Irving character changing her competition piece at the last minute) but overall they nailed it.