Holy Cow-WHAT Has Val Kilmer Been Up To?

Wait, so you have to be more attractive than X to talk bad about X’s looks?

And in response to Sattua, yes, the first thing I thought of was steroids too.

Of course not, you can say anything you want about anyone you want. But if you say “Stephen Hawking is an idiot” and people start laughing, they’re not laughing at Stephen Hawking.

Possibly. That’s what happened to Rosalyn Russell, and JFK (although Kennedy was origninally such a runt that in his case it was an improvement).

But the same effect can come from alcohol compromising the liver’s ability to fliter out all the crap that bulds up in the tissues, like Alan Ladd’s.

Well, there’s this idea that to judge someone else’s intelligence, you have to be reasonably intelligent yourself. I don’t think the parallel holds true for looks.

Also, by that logic, few of us on the Dope can make negative comments about how a movie star looks w/o being laughed at, cause most of us are not as good looking as them.

I am friends with an actress who had a small part in Comanche Moon. She said Val was usually hung over when he showed up on the set, and the crew hated his guts by the end of the shoot.

No, I suppose it’s not a perfect analogy.

Well, yeah. I mean, sure, knock yourselves out here, but try going into a place where people can see you, and talking about how ugly George Clooney or Angelina Jolie is. I guarantee, people are going to laugh at you. Inwardly, at the very least.

I think I know what’s going on with him. Look back at his career - he’s played a lot real life and fictional legends: Batman, Jim Morrison, Billy the Kid, Doc Holliday, John Holmes. So now, he wants just one more. He wants to play Santa Claus.

I tried to watch a movie with him in it the other night. American Something. It was about a heroin addict in Blythe who was also a gardener or some shit. Val played a cop. It was unbearable. I had to turn it off when he said “I just threw up in my mouth a little bit,” which is a line that has only been in every single movie and tv show produced anywhere in the entire world in the last 5 years.

Given the huge number of projects he’s recently completed or are in production or pre/post production it’s surprising he has a $500,000 tax problem. You’d think that would be chump change to a guy with dozens of Hollywood credits in the past few years. (Of course the Star Whackers took $50 million from Randy Quaid, so who knows.)

Possible, but he is quite a committed Christian Scientist, or was 8-9 years ago, last time I saw him.

Again, I doubt he was actually hung over. Granted, I haven’t seen him in a few years, but he definitely didn’t drink when I met him. In fact, it’s one of the things that lead to his marriage with Joane Whalley breaking up.

Here’s a bunch of pics of Val Kilmer from Google Images: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1024&bih=600&q=val+kilmer&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

The extra weight isn’t doing him any favors, but he’s an OK looking guy overall. I betcha he’s just been enjoying the good life and easy job and lots of money can get one.

I always wonder how celebrities can get so far in debt. I suppose they are too busy to mind their own bank accounts and also have a lot of people on the payroll, but don’t reasonably reasonable people check their balances from time to time?

Was she a drinker? IIRC, she sued him for divorce while she was pregnant with their child.

Not Jabba, but not nearly as svelte as he might be at this age, either. He looked great in Top Gun, as I remember, but has really let himself go since, alas.

I, also, have heard many Hollywood rumors about how difficult he is to work with, FWLIW.

From his wiki:

The above are cited as well. It’s extremely rare for people in show business to make such statements about others unless they’re trying to sell a bio or something- it’s just considered unprofessional and makes the complainer seem like a baby- so it’s particularly damning considering the business. Brando supposedly told him (on the godawful unwatchable in every way Moreau) “you seem to confuse the amount of your paycheck with the amount of your talent” after one of their rows (though Brando wasn’t known for being easy to work with either).

I had hopes after Kiss Kiss Bang Bang things would go better in his career. I really enjoyed that movie and he was very good in it. But looking at IMDB there is nothing I have even seen since then.

Oh, calm down. I cited Mary Kay Place because of an overall facial resemblance, not because of a weight issue (and with respect to both face and figure, she looks fine; it’s Val who has a problem). It’s a common observation to make of men when they get puffy that they’ve come to resemble certain women (Paul McCartney/Angela Lansbury being a classic comparison). I saw a striking resemblance in their beady eyes, cheeks and chins.

I had a friend like Kilmer in HS-very good looking kid, and a star football player.I saw him a few years ago-what a mess! Big jowled face and easily 50 pounds overweight-why do people let themselves go like this?

People like your friend eventually get the mistaken impression that something other than their looks have been carrying them. In Val Kilmer’s case, he’s actually a talented actor, and could probably get plenty of A-list work if he wasn’t such an [alleged] asshole. That makes letting himself go a little more understandable (see: Brando, Welles, etc.)

That’s a common pitfall with athletes; they just become accustomed to being one of the “big eaters” when they’re young and burning thousands of calories a day, and fail (or are slow) to make the necessary mental and lifestyle adjustments when they retire from sport. And I think a lot of these retired competitive athletes can’t help but resent that the time and energy they devoted to sport came at the expense of the reading, earning degrees, net surfing, TV watching, boozing, goofing off, etc. that many others were freer to enjoy in their youth… so they try to catch up on everything else, for awhile, at least. And then factor in the injuries and chronic conditions that many of these former athletes have, which make it harder for them to stay physically active, and you’ve got a perfect storm for mid-life couch-potato-hood.

I knew an Olympic medallist some years ago (when she was probably in her early 40’s) who’d done the same thing. I’m now around the same age she was when I met her, and even though I’ve never been an athlete, I’ve got a better figure now than she had back then.