Holy shit I’m bourgeois—I’m pissed off because our nanny stole my Scotch

the problem is a bozo like her might turn your tots into angels.

(New York Post joke.)

Nanny has good taste in scotch, no?

Double holy shit—I am that bourgeois! I ended up with one from Nearsites that was posted in my thread. Here is the Little Man with it.

At six, he’s a bit too young to be getting into daddy’s Scotch. Plus he’s smarter than to pinch in such an obvious way. Plus, he’s strictly a gin drinker (Bombay Sapphire).

We work at home, so it’s not like the nanny has been slushabout during the day. And frankly, if she wanted to have a few drinks at night after he’s gone to bed we were–when there was trust involved–not dogmatic about it. And the volumes have been small enough over time (in retrospect, that we’ve known about) that there hasn’t been enough missing to get pixelated on. Enough to enjoy.

Nanny having a nightcap after hours is what we’re choosing to believe. Concious choice, that. And it was about $250 worth (at least 27 $9 bottles), so there’s that. It’s the difference between grazing in the grape section of the supermarket (wrong, but whatever) and opening a box of Oreos and stashing the empty container in the frozen section. Very abstract distinction, but I think it’s the obviousness/gallingness that irks me most of all.

Unfortunately, there’s no treatment for stupidity.

How long have you been seeking one?

I knew there was something I should have been doing!

The hardest thing in the world is finding someone you trust to leave your kids with.

Have you discussed this with nanny?

Maybe she wasn’t drinking them.

Maybe she was selling them to buy cocaine.

See, there is another side to it.

In this case it’s harder to find someone you can leave your scotch with.

I can leave the Scotch with the Little Man—problem solved!

No, wait…

Wait, are you on an island with the nanny, your child, and the Scotch, and your boat can carry only you and one other object. But you can’t leave the nanny with the Scotch, and you can’t leave the Scotch with the kid (because whisky doesn’t observe proper bedtime). How do you get everyone/thing off the island?

Leave the nanny and kid, take the whiskey, and trade it for cocaine. Start a drug empire.

If the nanny can’t be trusted with the scotch she can stay on the island. So you can manage this with just 2 trips.

Disappointing answer, boytyperanma. If you can juggle the kid, the bottle(s), & an oar you can make it in one trip.

Depends. Is the kid going to grow up to be Hitler?

Clearly, the members of this Board are the wrong people to come to with this problem. The right people to come to would be the postwar, gray flannel suit generation.

My father used to mark his liquor bottles.
Another father I knew made a big production out of locking the liquor cabinet (and making it so it would show if someone tried to get around the lock) before he left the house.

Screw the bourgeois pieties. Demand she reimburse you 70 bucks!

As of this date, there hasn’t been a trial.

Nanny needs to be confronted.

I don’t think tracking down a former employee to admonish them over $70 bucks is worth anyone’s time.

Revenge is a beverage best served chilled.

Yes, but not top-quality Scotch.

Jeezuz, you don’t think the nanny was mixing it with coca-cola, do you? THAT would be a firing offense.

Naw, the hardest thing was finding someone stupid enough to watch my kids.

With a bit of work you could find a first time sucker. Second time sucker not so much.

This thread reminded me a news story not so long ago. Some handyman doing a long term project in someones house was helping himself to some wine in the basement. Turns out it wasn’t the cheap stuff. IIRC he consumed a fair bit of very expensive wine…like you could buy a nice car expensive.