Holy shit, Jacques Chirac is a fucking shitface

Now, I find all this international hoopla about pending war with Iraq has been rather tiring. I see myself in the middle ground; not an ardent war-hawk, willing to work with the UN, but seeing Goddam Insane’s removal as a necessary and inevitable event.

But Jacques Chirac is a fucking shitface.

I don’t mind that he’s against the war. That’s fine. France is a democratic country and the majority of them oppose the war, and Chirac is agreeing with the majority. No big fucking deal. But then he decides to say shit like,

He was talking about several Eastern European countries which have recently pledged support for the US position. These countries are not members of the EU, and are therefore little worthless pieces of shit, as far as Chirac is concerned. If you don’t believe me, listen to this:

Jesus H. Christ on a cracker with cranberry sauce. What kind of collossal assface says shit like this? “Hi. I’m France. I’m in the EU which means I’m better than you. Shut the fuck up, you stupid little child countries, or I shall taunt you a second time!”

Criticizing the actions of other nations (or your own) is one thing. But the sheer audacity and pomposity of criticizing them in the specific context of ejudicating their entrance into the EU is absolutely fucking horrendous. Unbelievable.

Wow. A Frenchman being condescending.

That being said, he is a major asshat. And he proves that the former Com-Bloc nations should think twice before joining the French EU.

Oops. I forgot the link for the news story:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/02/18/sprj.irq.chirac/index.html

I don’t see that he said anything even vaguely offensive. It’s tone is slightly patronising, but otherwise it looks like pretty mild and valid criticism to me, and undeserving of the hysterical overreaction in the OP.

Diplomacy is about leaning on people. Do you think the US is not leaning on governments (and oppositions) to support its position?

Well, duh. Why would you imagine anything different?

You must be French, or way off to the Left.

Well it could be argued that if these countries are applying for membership that they should be on their best behavior, so at the very least they should be quiet about their support for the US position. The EU would be smart to look twice at nations that would potentially be tools of the US, that could make a differnce latter on. It’s a good strategy to watch them closely with respect to their alliances.

Better they be tools of the French, eh?

I see. In other words, in all disputes, you must forfeit your sovereignty and become France’s lackey rather than the US’s? That’s a valid criticism? Please.

And anyway, hawthorne has the right idea. France is using everything in it’s power to get people to go along with their position rather than the “opposition’s.” It’s fair in the world of international diplomacy and I can’t really be too critical of them, other than the general idea that they could have been a bit less ham-handed. But that’s just a minor criticism - it’s much more important that they pull the strings needed to get what they want. Just as I fully expect the US to be doing the same thing.

Nah, a thinker.

Are the countries applying to be a state of the US or a member of the EU? If the majority of the people of the EU don’t support the US position, why wouldn’t there be criticism of a country that’s seeking membership that is embracing the US position? It would have been smart for those countries to stay neutral, that would have been a more political saavy way of handling things.

I doubt ‘Kiss French ass’ is somewhere in the EU membership app. These nations are more then free to determine their own foreign policy, regardless of French whining.

I don’t think the US has any business invading Iraq unless Iraq attacks us or one of our allies.

Having said that – I think the people governing Romania et. al. have the right to voice a contrary opinion, and that membership in the EU should not be based on anything as reductionistic a litmus test as agreement/disagreement on this issue, nor should applicant nations be expected to shuffle their metaphorical feet silently in the hallway while they are under consideration.

Of course I am not a European.

Chirac comes across like a moron. One wit spelled his name chIRAQ.

Even from his POV of trying to maximize France’s power in Europe, his statements were bizarre. He has now pissed off countries whose support he wants. His bad behaviour also has given Blair and Bush a good talking point. Anti-war people who don’t mind being on the same side as Saddam Hussein might draw the line at being on the side of Chirac. :eek:

I was about to come in here and post the same link. I found his remarks incredibly arrogant and reckless. “Agree with us or no EU for you!”

Even politically, it’s just plain stupid (not that Chirac wasn’t politically stupid his first time around when Mitterand played him like a fiddle, but that’s another debate). Allies have disagreements all the time, being threatening and attempting to beat them into submission is quite another. It’s a good way to lose those allies.

France, just like any other coutnry, can agree or disagree with the policy toward Iraq, but these disgusting comments hold no respect for the opinions of other democratic nations, and frankly, I suspect they will come back to bite him in the ass fairly soon.

The problem here is that France is in no official position to make official pronouncements about who is and who is not going to have a difficult time entering the EU, outside of those countries for whom France itself will make entrance difficult.

You can be anti-war and not pro Saddam Hussein, I don’t know why you insist on using this idiot-speak. There is sizeable number of people that are against the war all over the world, this weekend illustrated that clearly.

Do you think that any country that is courting US aid would stand a chance of receiving it if they came out on record as being against the US position?

Wrong thread, and a complete lie.

As I understand it, the EU is itself pretty divided on the issue. France and Germany are strongly opposed to the Iraq war, but Spain and the UK are strongly in favor, to address some of the larger EU countries.

I think that Belgum is the only other vocally anti-war EU nation, and there are several others which are pro-war.

Chirac’s comments tend to underscore the view that France and Germany are the central powers of Europe, while everyone else is peripheral. Although I think Rumsfeld’s “Old Europe” remarks were imprudent in the extreme, I would say that Chirac has an inflated view of France’s centrality in world and European affairs.

What you don’t know is how far the French influence carries within the union and what other states in the union agree with the French position but are not vocal about it, because they are more politically saavy.